condensation on a leica m6

paul_s.1

i was out shooting this morning at the beach with my m6. the fog was

pretty dense and there was a lot of humidity in the air. when i got

back to my car there was some condensation build up on my lens and

on the metallic portions of my camera. i wiped it clean and now have

it drying out in the open. will this hurt my camera, or is the m6

rugged enough to handle this?

Just leave it out where air circulates. It should be fine. Mine get a bit of rain now and again, spray while out in the boat, etc. They just keep working. It's not a DAG or Sherry situation. Just don't dunk them! A bit of fog caused condensation?~ no problem.

when the air is cold and camera warm, leave it in the bag until it stabilises temp. Reverse is true if cold out, I leave everything in the bag with my parka over it when I bring it in.

Outside condensation will be ok if not heavy, but internal may dry with spots and you will be without while it`s being fixed.

Use a lens cap to prevent condensation on the front of the lens or the pics will be fuzzy.

Experience has taught me to turn the A/C off and put the car windows down when I'm about 20 minutes out going to one of my birding spots, otherwise the moment my 300/2.8 comes out of the bag it fogs up and keeps fogging even if I wipe it repeatedly (not a good idea).

As to beach photography, since I have several cameras including rangefinders worth under $100 I don't see any reason to subject $2000+ Leicas and their $1000+ lenses to that environment. I wouldn't even do it to my well-worn M4, it still would cost me more than three "beaters" just to get it CLA'd if I got drenched by a wave or squirted by some kids with a giant water weenie...I mean, the beach is supposed to be for fun.

A marine environment is hostile to the electrics in an unsealed camera like the M6. It's not so much what condenses on the outside surface of the camera, rather it's what you don't see on the inside such as the light meter circuitry that can be a problem. A good place for an Oly stylus epic.

Being overly careful with my gear, I would restrict my cameras for beach use to my Minolta Autocord or an old Pentax Spotmatic. All the sand and salt must be bad news for very expensive gear. Thar said, the post as I understood it, referred to external moisture. That can't do much harm, every once in a while.

Paul,

Used mine in Hong Kong in early May when the humidity rose up to 100% in hot, hot, hot

temperatures. As soon as you exit the hotel (where there is air-conditioning) the camera

would fog up immediately.

As Al suggests... let it air dry! I threw it into a large freezer bag containing a few bags of

silica drying agent and haven't had any problems whatsoever. This is definitely not a CLA

situation (unless it's about that time anyway, in which case...why not?)

Cheers

Always put your Leicas in the most expensive marine, underwater housing available in these situations. Then, be careful Homeland Security doesn't confiscate it thinking it's some kind of portable WMD you are lugging around. Good luck!

My M3s have gotten thoroughly wet when I was shooting in light rain and heavy snow. I just wiped them off occasionally while shooting, then dried them when I got inside, and set them in aside to dry. They still function fine.

If I'm going from air-conditioned cool to hot, humid outdoors, I'll blast my camera and lens with a blow dryer for a few minutes to warm it up before I go out.

[As some around here can tell you, though, I'm one of those crazy freaks who's more interested in getting the shot than preserving my camera.]

Considering how many shots you'd miss if your camera was away for 3 months being overhauled, and how many shots you'd need to sell (assuming of course you sell any)to pay for it, or to replace it, I think that "crazy" is a perfect descriptor. Unless of course you're one who earns enough to buy a new Leica every day before your first coffee break...but in that case you would have more self esteem than false bravado.