Canham DLC vs. Arca Swiss Basic - dump the arca?

tim_atherton9

Okay - one of those either or questions

I already have an Arca Swiss Basic (like a slightly better Discovery),

which, over time has been upgraded with the 30cm folding rail and the

leather bag bellows (still has the longer all in one rail it came

with + standard bellows) - so apart froma couple of tiny differences

it's baswically an F Line Compact now.

It gets used mainly for architectural work (which I'm doing less of

these

days). I also have a Toyo 45A which gets carried around for travel,

some

landscapes, and quite often architectural stuff as well, because it's

just handier.

Now, I'm mulling over getting rid of the two cameras above and getting

the Canham DLC 4x5 instead to substitute for both cameras - for

travelling

around, some landscape/cityscapes and some architecture.

Canham fans - what do you think?

Others - pros and cons?

I should add - lenses go from 75, 90, 125, 150, 210 and 250mm

thanks

For a couple of years I owned both a Arca-Swiss Classic (with a non folding 40cm optical

bench) anda DLC and then sold my DLC when money was getting tight and I was trying to

justify owning two 4x5 cameras. because I shoot professionally -- architecture and studio

work and some portraits-- as well as for personal reasons, and knew I needed the

movements so I kept the Arca. I've regretted it ever since as within the next year I started

doing less commissioned architectural and studio work.

The Arca-Swiss is great, I'll never regret having it, but it is a technical camera and not as

fast (or as easy to carry around) as the Canham DLC which I primarily used for a pretty fair

amount of architectural work and my personal work.

In conclusion Tim, unless you are doing commercail work go for the DLC as it is a terrific

camera and enjoyable to use. I used it with lenses ranging from 65mm to 720mm, and for

macro work with a 300mm f/9 Nikkor M.

Tim.

I bought my Canham DLC years ago, primarily based upon Ellis Vener's patient and positive replies to my inquiries about this particular design when I was considering a new lightweight field 4x5.

I own (owned) a 4x5 Toyo studio monorail, a 4x5 Zone VI field, a Wisner 8x10 and couple of other view cameras. Over the years I've had the chance to inspect, handle and evaluate a number of view cameras, so I feel I have a good grasp of view camera design and what's important and useful or not. While I don't own an Arca Swiss, I have had the chance to work with one. I was impressed by the Arca Swiss, it seemed like a very well made, capable and intelligently designed 4x5 field camera.

I feel that it takes a few months, perhaps years, to really get to know a view camera's attributes and shortcomings, so I really have no real working opinions on the Arca Swiss. I have, however, formed a strong opinion of and attachment to the Canham DLC. I think it's a great lightweight field camera, with very few faults and tremendous versatility. It's not perfect, no view camera is, but for my purposes it's just about ideal.

I was looking for a lightweight, compact, precise, versatile (capable of handling a very wide range of focal lengths), easy to setup and take down and attractive camera for field work of all kinds. I've hauled it all over the place, under all kinds of conditions, and used it to photograph everything from architecture to landscapes to portraits. It's never failed me, it has not given me any problems whatsoever and it's still works and looks like new.

There are a couple of minor things I would change if I could, but nothing that has made me rethink the choice of the DLC. I really love the purposeful look of the thing and the black, machined aluminum materials. It feels a bit delicate at first but the damned thing is really tough, and the black finish wears very well. The best thing about it is the bed/rail design that allows the use of an extreme range focal lengths with minimal compensating adjustments, and the extremely flexible bellows material/design.

I trust the thing, and it does what it's supposed to do. If I had to I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The Canham DLC is an excellent camera, but of course not perfect. I had one for several years. For my uses, the main drawback was it didn't allow much front rise with a 72 mm Super-Angulon XL. I know many extol the one-bellows-does-everything bellows, but with the 72 mm lens and front rise the camera would have a front tilt because of the bellows, whether or not I wanted front tilt. The camera is designed to be just rigid enough -- I had to be careful to hold the loupe lightly against the ground glass. Those were the cons for me. Its big advantage is its light weight, particularly for a camera on which a non-telephoto 450 mm lens is usable.

Macro with a 300 mm lens? Closeups perhaps, but not true macro: the max extension of the DLC is 520 mm, so the max magnification is m = 520 mm / 300 mm - 1 = 0.73, i.e., an image less than lifesize.

Greetings Tim,

I agree with most of the comments expressed above, though I have never used an Arca.

I disagree with Michael?s assessment WRT using the 72XL. I took Keith Canham?s advice when I inquired about getting a bag bellows. Keith told me I didn?t need it and said don?t worry about ruining the bellows; it will bend and flex as needed. I took that advice and had to distort the bellows, but I got maximum front rise with the 72XL and even managed to exceed the 72?s image circle, which is huge. Now if I had to shoot architecture every day, I would certainly invest in the bag bellows, but for mixed use the standard bellows works fine and it pops right back into shape when finished.

For an all-around camera, with cross functionality between a monorail and a field camera the DLC can?t be beat ? I recommend it in a heart beat. Good luck!

Regards, Pete

• 1 year later...