Simple Question about setting Hasselblad ISO speed.

gwendolyn_white

This is almost a no-brainer but I wanted to ask experienced photographers before assuming and finding

out I did something wrong.

<br><br>

I have some film I plan on using on my trip next week; it's ISO 160. I have a Hasselblad 503CX (not sure if

that matters) and if you are familiar with Hasselblad there's a little dial that turns and it goes from 16 -

1000 but not all the numbers are listed. You have # dot # dot # etc. Until 100 then it's <i>dot dot # dot

dot #</i>. Now, since this is ISO160... which dot should I use after 100? I would assume the later (right

before 200) but like I said I don't want to misunderstand something and set the wrong ISO, so I thought it

would be best to ask here.

<br><br>

I did check my manual to see if they explained it, but they really didn't so... Again, that's why I'm asking

here for reassurance.

<br><br>

Thank you for any help!

I have a couple of Medium format cameras which have built in metering systems, and you do need to set that ISO dial correctly. I don't think the 503cx has built in exposure metering.

The ISO dial most likely has to do with the internal flash system. If you tell the camera what speed your film is, it computes exposure for flash photography. You can change the ISO when using flash to change the flash output.

But as far as what dot goes with what number, I use the one before 200 for ISO 160.

It's the same as on other cameras. The progression is.... 25, 32(dot) 40(dot) 50, 64(dot) 80(dot) 100, 125(dot) 160(dot) 200, 250(dot) 320(dot) 400, 500(dot) 640(dot) 800... There's lower and higher isos, but that should help.

Dan

I think Thomas is right. The ISO dial has to do with the TTL flash metering. Unless you're using a flash this shouldn't be important. Also, only the 503 (CX(i),CW) Hasselblads have flash TTL and therefore you won't find that dial on any other 500series body.

What's important is the ISO value that you set on your lightmeter. There I would agree that it's best to use the setting right before 200 for ISO160 film (and the one right after 100 for ISO125 film).