strong camera...I looked at the lens more carefully...it was bent but

I was able to snap it back into place...It focused and shot...my lens

cap looks mangled...my hoya filter was what smashed into bits...moral

of the story...don't walk and clean tripod at same time...worrying

about a 300buck tripod and not minding a $1500 camera and $900 lens

not to mention human body(priceless) is not one of the brighter paths

taken...my filter ring is stuck on the lens...any suggestions on how

to get it off...thanks...

You were walking down an icy log and paying attention to a "dirty tripod?!" LOL! Glad you are OK and the 20D escaped harm. Take care of yourself and move away from the Arctic to <i>somewhere below 40 degrees N. latitude</i>. I am trying to think of a camera crash horror story... I once dropped my Nikon Coolpix 990 from the counter to the floor and ended up paying $300 to fix it. Rest up this weekend and hope your ribs are fine.

My wife dropped our D60 a couple months ago and put a nice dent in the bottom. The LCD on the back isn't level any more and I think the CMOS sensor may have moved a fraction of a hair because the focus doesn't seem to be quite as sharp as it was - or maybe the AF assist is off, but the camera is still totally usable and the focus is fine most of the time.

I keep going back and forth on the 20D vs 350D and build quality is definitely a consideration. After having held the 350D I can't imagine it taking the kind of hit my D60 did and living to talk about it.

I was photographing some kids sliding down an icy slope at night, Leica CL with a crummy

Nikon speedlight on top. Slipped on the ice and in my flailing haste to break my fall I

basically threw the camera at the ice. Flash took the brunt, exploded into many different

pieces, and the camera clattered down the hill into a berm of slush.

I collected the pieces of the flash (as many as I could find), collected the camera, and

resumed shooting with the miraculously still working camera. Pictures from after the

accident look as good as the ones from before. This is not a story about how tough Leicas

are, but how lucky I was.

Hi,

<p>

My favorite way for cleaning the tripod: In the field I swing it through tall wet grass. At home I just rinse it in the shower and leave it there to dry...

<p>

Now to the important part: As far as I understand it, you have a glass-less filter ring stuck on your lens and want it off. I watched a camera tech at a good camera store do this in a similar situation:

<p>

1) Rattle all loose glass out of the filter ring.<br>

2) Grab your heavy duty side cutters and cut the ring off. You'll have to cut and twist to get the ring off. It looked pretty violent when the camera tech did it.

<p>

Obviously, follow above procedure at your own risk and expense.

<p>

Tom

I'd recommend you put some hot-meld glue on the filter and glue it to a hard surface. After the glue has cooled down, it should be easy to turn the lens and remove the stubborn filter. It works so well because you don't apply any force to the filter or the lens at the front.

Good luck...

Sometimes a rubberband around the edge of the filter will allow enough fiction to turn it.

Otherwise buy a filter wrench from B&H.

Next time use a lens hood. A hood saved my rig during a fall a more than once.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I second the motion for a lens hood. I still have a Nikon F - circa 1967 - that I dropped on the sidewalk from four feet while photographing a race in Monaco. The lens hood on the 28mm lens caved in, taking most of the energy. The body has a small ding in the bottom. However, except for replacing the hood, neither lens nor body has required any repairs. They are both still working after nearly forty years.

Bottom line - I ALWAYS use a good quality lens hood (and almost never a filter) for protection of my equipment.

Thanks all...I'm probably going to have it serviced...although it works I think I want Canon to take a look at it...sharpess is a bit off...Now I might have an excuse to add the 350d...plus smallness much better for street photography...20d looks too pro-like to be incognito...thanks again...here's an image post fall with 10-22 efs