Best way of use Canon flashes with an SQ-Ai

roberto_lins

I've recently entered in the MF world and still in the learning stage.

I was think about to buy a flash for my SQ-Ai in the coming couple of

months (probably Metz). However, I have two Canon flashes that I

thought whether it'd be possible to use together for a multiple flash

setup. For this purpose, I thought about to get a couple of Ikelite

boxes. I've never used such a thing. What would happen? I guess that

the flash would fire in full-power only, is that right? Would it be

possible to transfer the TTL information for the flash? Would there be

any other better way? Finally, is there anyway I could use my Canon

flashes with the SQ-Ai in the mean time (without too much of a hassle,

of course!)?

Thanks in advance for any comment,

I haven't heard of a way to use the TTL of a Canon flash on non-Canon bodies. Canon probably wouldn't like that since they want to sell bodies & lenses. ;)

Which Canon flashes do you have? Higher end ones like the 550EX and 540EZ allow manual control, otherwise yes you're stuck with full power.

You might try selling the Canon flashes and buying a Metz setup that's compatible with both bodies?

Ikelite lightlinks are designed specifically for the brand flash they are attached to, ie Canon. Check with Ikelite to make sure your specific flash models will work. I have a Canon compatible Sunpak that will not work on the lightlinks.

The lightlinks control the flashes based on the duration of the source flash. As long as your camera and attached flash operate with TTL control, your Canon flashes will be controlled TTL via the lightlinks also. With multiple flashes, you'll need to be more careful of overexposure. The minimum flash duration may provide too much light at a given distance, aperture and film speed.

I have, when desperate, used my Canon flash with my Pentax 67 via a hot shoe to pc socket adapter. Manual flash control only, and you have to tabulate your own distance/aperture numbers or use a flash meter. Once you have tabulated exposure data, it's no different than using an old fashioned manual flash.