Nostalgia? Bad enough I have to listen to the oldies station to hear _my_

music...

And finally, at the main Forum Page:

* Leica and Rangefinders: fiesty bunch of guys wondering why a $5000 camera

won't automatically take a great photo.

No spin there, eh? :-)

Have a good weekend.

Bill

Bill, despite the fact that this is referred to as a "public forum" it is in fact privately owned and the owner has some clear opinions. One involves the [con]descention of everyone who uses film into the category of nostalgia buffs (as opposed to serious photographers I suppose?). Another is the writing-off of the Leica forum. Perhaps when the M8 is in enough hands, Leica users will not be dismissed by the site as "nostalgia buffs"--that is, if it passes muster what with its "paltry" 10MP and lack of Canonesque bells and whistles. If so, I would expect to see a working moderator installed who will enforce the TOS. If not, I wouldn't be surprized if it vanished.

So does that make the newest Canon digital as good or better than 8x10 film?

Shouldn't the other camera forums fit into the "wondering why a $5000 camera won't automatically take a great photo." I mean, don't the newest digital cameras cost quite a bit? Do they automatically take a great photo?

Lame

Gentlemen, don't you get it?

What used to be a genuine on-line community has been "re-purposed" as a markeing tool. The items being marketed are digital cameras and accessories. Members of the community will be expected to generate content that will help the marketing effort. Members who don't get with the program will be disparaged until they leave or, in extreme cases, deleted from the community.

Condescending remarks about photographers who use film cameras, especially Leicas, will be tolerated because such remarks create a favorable advertising environment for marketers of digital equipment. Responses to such remarks (probably including half or all of this thread) will be deemed off-topic chit-chat and deleted.

Leica as a brand will be tolerated because it is "transitioning" into the digital age and -- who knows? -- might become a source of advertising revenue if its digital offerings are accepted in the market. Other film-related forums are tolerated because their participants as seen as prime candidates to buy digital cameras.

If Leica does choose to throw some ad dollars at photo.net, will it take more than a nanosecond for the "feisty nostalgia buffs" to be "repositioned" as the "hippest hipshooters on the planet"?