Apologies.. PC Question Again - Vista, XP for RAM etc

I am in the process of acquiring an AMD AM2 64 6000+ ,4GB RAM system. My

simple question is which OS should I opt for to ensure the best performance

within CS2 ? I read that 32bit versions of Windows won't fully support 4GB ram

so must I aim for a 64 bit product and is the new Vista 64 bit going to do the

trick ? I'm happy for a change and am using mostly brand new equipment so

shouldn't have too many issues with updated drivers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS Processor and Gigabyte Mobo M59 are bought so please don't advise me to go

with an Intel Dual Core ;)

Vista Ultimate 64 Bit ? Or maybe XP Pro 64 Bit ?

I would stick with XP Pro until Service Pack 1 comes out for Vista. I'm sure Vista will be just fine eventually, but for now you can't get drivers for many devices and not all software is compatible. Microsoft requires all drives and libraries in Vista to be certified, which is a lengthy (and somewhat self-serving) process. It is optional in XP.

I would stick with XP Pro until Service Pack 1 comes out for Vista. I'm sure Vista will be just fine eventually, but for now you can't get drivers for many devices and not all software is compatible. Microsoft requires all drives and libraries in Vista to be certified, which is a lengthy (and somewhat self-serving) process. It is optional in XP.

I have not found the 2G limit in Photoshop under XP to be debilatating, and I work with 400+ MB medium format images. On the other hand, the Adobe Creative Suite programs recognize and use dual-core processors very well. Even under X64, Photoshop will only recognize 3GB. You might want to reassess your priorities.

XP or better yet a MAC that will not have all the problems. MAC is the industry standard for a reason.

The probelm now is you can`t get a non vista computer. Plus even when it gets all fixed, Vista is so complicated due to the legacy operations it must support, the operating system uses way to much computing power that should be going towards your work. All this just to get it to look like a MAC, but it will not operate like one in the end.

Microsoft is a .... company. Whoops can`t say that here.

You can easily get a non-Vista computer. Have someone build one for you. Then you can install any OS you like. Oops, except for MacOS. Can't install that one.

I agree with Edward on this one. Wait for SP1 with Vista. If you "must" have a 64-bit OS, then XP Pro is it.

Cheers all. I'm building it myself so can do as I please. I've opted for a spacious case so I can double back up all my work (learned the hard way). Is it worth installing whichever OS I choose to a smaller HD just for the OS ? Would this make things run faster generally ?

I have a desktop pc and a notebook both running vista and no problems. Especially if you are building a new PC with new components you should have no problem with vista.

I am running CS3 with 4gigs ram and it is a pleasure.

it looks like vista has a limit of 2 to 3 gigs of ram due to address probles not enough address parametersin the system. may not be a problem with the 64 bit version but the komando show has had questions already most systems seem to stall out at 2.5 gigsmax and not show or use any more thats instaled.

Agree with Gene ~ Vista is running great with CS 3 + LR, have 4 gigs of RAM . My other computer still has XP with 4 gigs of RAM and CS3 with LR. Vista is great to use, I don't understand the concerns in not getting Vista until SP1 is released. I really don't feel it's relevant for Vista.<P>There is a program that you can download and check your systems applications, drivers and hardware. If your current driver is not workable with Vista, it will tell you if a new driver is available or not and then you can decide if the application isn't worth the worry.

fwiw, XPs are readily available new, from everybody but the worst.

As to Mac OS being the "standard," that's never been true for photo printers or most scanners. Like applications, peripherals are introduced first for the biggest market.