How does the Zorki 3M finder measure up?

I've owned various screw mount Leicas (bad, squinty finders), Leica

M's (excellent finders) and late model Canon LTM camera (very good

finders). How does the finder on the Zorki 3M compare? I'm planning

on getting one from fedka, where they state the cameras have been

CLA'd.

Thanks again in advance for the advice. This is getting to be my

favorite forum.

I have a Zorki 4, which I believe is a 3M with a self timer added. The finder is large, but it has very little eye relief: for me using glasses, I can see about the field of an 85mm lens with it. I turn this to advantage by using an 85/2 Jupiter-9 lens on the camera and not needing an auxiliary finder for it. The focus adjustment for the eyepiece tends not to stay in position and it goes far beyond any reasonable useful range, so you have to fiddle with it frequently.

It does not compare to either the Leica M or the late Canon finders at all, but it is pretty good compared to the screwmount Leicas and early Canons.... less squinty, and the rangefinder is in the same window. Certainly a good deal if you give even modest consideration to the difference in cost.

I find the Zorki 4 to be almost a perfect camera. Great viewfinder, usable rangefinder, pleasing size and weight. It even smells good.

The only issue I have with the two I have is, they get stuck after rewinding the roll of film. The dang pin for advancing film stays in the up position even after resetting the twist thingy to normal operation. I have to futz around with it for a good bit before it returns to the dropped position and lets me shoot my next roll of film.

As such, the Retina II and my new Fuji ST605n (with a Jupiter 9) get a lot more use. But the Zorki takes unreal nice photos with a Jupiter 8 on it. It's a good buy.

tim in san jose

Wow all that and it smells good too! My Kiev smells like a old pair of boots. Much of the smell comes from the (now departed) stinky grease inside.

Rick can advise better than me but I would be inclined to use a bit of Ronsonol lighter fluid on a q-tip to try and free up that sticky pin. Don't get it in the optics.

Gee, I don't have that problem, either. I have a Zorki 4 from 1956 which I went through about two years ago, and it is as nice and smooth a camera as I think a person might need. Mine just hums along, and with the Jupiter lens (also from 1956), the pictures are great. One of the things that sort of helps with the early Zorki 4 models is the shutter speeds...there's no meter, so I find myself falling back on the "sunny" rule, Rick Oleson's nearly-genius business card light meter, etc. The early Zorki 4 used the speed progression that included speeds like 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100...those are much more in synch with ASA speeds than 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125. I use ASA 100 a lot, and the overexposure provided by the "older" speed progression makes the "sunny" rule so much easier to use and makes the pictures that much better.

Jon

I've had a Zorki 4 for 3 months or so, but haven't used it as much as my KIEVs: 4A, and 2 4AMs--love em all (copies of Contax IIs with 'improvements')

I also have problems with finders, and my friend who gave me the Zorki 4, did so especially knowing I have that problem. He felt it had the best finder of all his FSU (former Soviet Union) cameras --and he has a galaxy of them . But even when I was in my 30s with 20/20 vision, I had trouble with the finders of my SM Leicas (IIF& IIIF) I purposely put an auxiliary Leitz bright line finder for my 2/50 Summitar and 3.5/50 Elmar.

Richard Oleson, I have an easy fix for your focus (diopter adjustment)lever, which slips on both my Zorki 4 and FED 2. It is a built-in flaw: too loose and lever wanders. I discretely taped it down at my optimum setting. I used a small strip of grey duck tape that looks fabulous. It works and inhibits swearing while going through the ritual of , "hocus pocus, where's the focus?"

I've had great results with my Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 (copy of Zeiss Sonnar)

Good luck!

Les

Got the Kiev 5. The finder hasn't been cleaned, but as-is, to my eye it is a pretty good, more than adequate for focusing and composing in indoor, indirect lighting. I'd estimate that it is comparable to a Canon P, but less busy (and not 1x mag). There are parallax corrected framelines for 50mm. The vertical alignment is off though, and the Helios-94 on it is a basket case. Some work will be needed to rehabilitate this one.

But I think it has a lot of potential. The wind lever seems to be quite interesting. The lever has a really long stroke, and as you turn it lever, the wind knob above it turns in the opposite direction.

I will try to look at my 3M tonight. I recall the finder being pretty good though.

Maybe it is just my own like, but to me it looks more like a traditional Leica

screw mount body. I don't care for the appearance of the flat tops. My second

favorite is the Fed 3a(rarer Fed 3 style with step down wind end rather than

flat top) - I have one that works great. I have a Zorki 1 that I truly enjoy, but it is

less convenient since it has a separate rangefinder and viewfinder. Like some

other Russian commentators I have read, I think the Zorki 3/3M is the most

attractive Russian Leica imitation made design wise.