New Look ..... Caption

jbs

Well, I think I like the new look for the caption (or title) of

images that now include what camera was used to capture the image.

It also seems that I can now drop in my own copyright.

So, thank you 2 times Brian....;)....J<div>009NZx-19483584.JPG.26600915655698458d0aae4967dca24a.JPG</div>

keith,

While I agree that the tool should not be over-emphasized, knowing that an interesting image can be made with this or that camera let's others put into perspective their own equipment. If someone sees an excellent photo taken with say, a tiny X31 it brings home the idea that you don't need a huge canon to capture a quality image.

This may cater to the amature more than the pro, but at least those of us that liked the old interface (Data to the right) have been thrown a small bone on which to chew....;)....J

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of hidding the technical details? The camera was already included there, and Google always sees that section. I understand the crucial role of good advertising revenue, but what is the benefit of duplicating that info near the title?

There are quite a few other details on the Details tab, and just displaying the camera near the caption isn't as noisy as displaying all the details.

Google's robot is smart enough to distinguish what text is effectively hidden by the style sheet. Actually, that is a standard google-spamming trick. You still occasionally see pages where the magic keyword is repeated 50 times in a tiny font, white on white, in display:none style, et -- in a effort to increase the page rank relative to that keyword without bothering the users. But Google knows about these things and none of them makes any difference to the page rank.. Some of those techniques actually result in a site being penalized.

Brian, since the changes I've noticed that all of the film types listed in "My Equipment" have changed and make little sense. For example Fuji Velvia has now changed to "Fuji 120". These changes are also evident under the "Details" Tab of each of my images. Should I now change all of the film details in "My Equipment" list and then on each of my images or is this just a temporary glitch? TIA.

Not sure. I'm working on the equipment. It is a mess, especially Film. The problem you are referring to is probably due to: (1) someone defined "Fuji Velvia" as a manufacturer and "Fuji Velvia" "120" as a film. (2) You then added this film in your portfolio. "Fuji Velvia" is not a manufacturer, of course. I changed all the manufacturers like this to just "Fuji", but at least on some of the films, a bit of information has been lost. I don't know if I'm going to fix this. It might be hopeless.

Actually, I'm thinking of eliminating all filters in the equipment database, and all films other than Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, Ilford, and perhaps a few others. Certainly it doesn't make sense to have scanners and various flavors of Compact Flash as "films".

Here's a list of current film makers.

<p>

<ul>

<li>Agfa

<li>Efke

<li>Foma

<li>Forte

<li>Ferrania

<li>Fujifilm

<li>Ilford

<li>Imation (3m)

<li>Kodak

<li>Konica

<li>Lucky

<li>Maco

<li>Orwo

<li>Polaroid

<li>Svema

<li>Tasma

</ul>

<p>

An "other" category would take care of private label films like those sold by Pathmark, Shorprite, K-mart, Walmart etc.

Somewhat related to the initial question: Is there a way that a registered user can chose how he wants photos to be displayed? (Similar to turning the pull-down menus on or off)

Some might like to see the technical details with the photo right away, others might prefer the comments. Maybe even something close to the old view with details first and then the comments?