Will no ratings reduce exposure?

laura2

I must say, guys, this is great that we can turn off ratings on our

photos -- I am enjoying the opportunity to rise above the numbers and

to get honest positive/negative criticism. However, I have two

questions. Will turning off ratings reduce exposure of images to the

photo.net community? Like, will people not see me as much unless I'm

already on their "interesting people" list?

Also, if I want to turn the ratings back on after submitting a

critique, do I have to delete the image, then resubmit? Just

curious...

Sorry if this was asked already. I had trouble finding it when I

searched.

Laura, it depends. If your images normally make it to the TRP pages then yes, by selecting no ratings the number of views is drastically reduced. As things are set up at the moment it will also drastically reduce the number of comments you will receive. Having said that the comments received via the no ratings option are more useful probably because people have to go to the trouble of finding your work. Far less of the "WOW's" and "nice colours" and more in depth critiques.<p>Sorry not sure about turning the ratings back on.

you should ask yourself this: who do I want my work visible to? a bunch of anonymous strangers, probably 99% of these 'views', who don't care to take time to look at my work or leave any meaningful comment on my photo? these notions of "exposure" and "visibility" are way overblown in relationship to their actual meaning and concrete importance. now, the critique-only forum won't get you 'views' or much 'visibility' or 'exposure'. but once more active PNers get wind of it then it might just become the "in" place to have your photos displayed. give it more time. and those who submit there ought to step up and comment on each other's work there, too.

With all due respect Peggy, since you are not a photographer, just a great judge of

photography, I'm not sure you would understand the needs or wants to just show your

work, whether anyone comments or not. I am certainly influenced by everything I see

here, not just the work I comment on, (I don't rate anymore) and I want other people to see

my work and be influenced by it. The 'critique only' choice is a poor substitute for owned

ratings.