big challenge as I have looked at 6.0 and 7.0 and it is mind

boggleing to say the least. So what would be the best way to

learn? Tutorial cd's? local college? Private instruction? It is

ok to say experiment with it but the language on the software can

also be confusing for begginers and very frustrating when trying to

do even simple tasks. So any suggestions would be greatly

appreciated. Then I may be able to actually upload my photo's

here! Thanks in advance!

Start gradually, but immediately. Don't wait for a camera. Get your computer and software set up now, and start by playing with some of your scanned images.

I recommend going Microsoft. Get a great tech and get him/her to build you a hotrod out of the warehouse. They know the parts and it's much better than just buying one from the local electronics store. I used to be a mac person, but xp pro is great. You don't necessarily need photoshop to work or get started with digital files. But I do recommend getting the latest Photoshop, CS. with a gig of ram. Especially if you?re going to be feeding lots of jpg?s through it. It has many new features, the file browser in particular, is especially designed for this. Welcome to the revolution.

Hi Randall,

Don't be afraid of Photoshop especialy if you only wnat to ehnance your photos. Assuming your photograph are goog from the start, there is little to do with photoshop. "Good pictures=littlephotoshop". Get the latest copy of Photoshop (CS) if you plan to buy the D2X so if you shoot in RAW format you will be able to open them with an update of Camera Raw in the future.

Make sure to calibrate your monitor and learn how to set your "color settings" and buy a good book on photoshop. There are plenty of it but anything by Bruce Fraser(Real world series), Scott Kelby or look also for Adobe's books "Classroom in a book".

By the way most of us use about maybe 10% of photoshop capabilities.

Good luck.

Randall,

Photoshop can be a little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll like it.

You need a workflow. Once you have that, you'll use the same tools over and over and it will become easier. Once you've done b&w conversion, ajusted overall density and contrast (level and curves), local density and contrast, spotting (dust removal) sharpening (unsharp mask), you're ready to print.

I've had good luck with classes at the community colleges - in particular (in Arizona), Phoenix College and Pima Community College (Tucson). Both instructors were well-qualified and happened to be photographers as well as computer people. In Tucson, it was Steve Romaniello, who wrote Photoshop CS Savvy.

There are a number of good books. Also, I'm sure some of the workshops would be helpful that run anywhere from a day or two, to a week or more. If you're basically computer literate, then you're way ahead. If not, I agree with the post that say, just plunge in right away. Also, get Photoshop CS, no sense starting with yesterday's stuff -- tomorrow will be here before you know it. It's a learning curve, but certainly not impossible. Remember, Photoshop is just another tool. Good luck!

If I didn't already have Photoshop CS and an Epson 1280,<br>I would buy a 1280 from Epson for $399,<br>get the current $100 rebate,<br>start off using the bundled Photoshop Elements 2.0 software,<br>then upgrade to Photoshop CS using the "Special Price Upgrade" offer that comes bundled with the 1280.<p>Details of the special price aren't given online, but I suspect it is the same as the academic/educational price of $299.<p>Or, you could sign up for a community college class on Photoshop, and buy PS CS at the academic price from the bookstore, thereby getting the software and education for about the total price of the retail software.<p>Or, you could sign up for a Photoshop class and get the academic/educational price of $399 for the entire $1200+ Adobe Creative Suite Premium, which even includes PS CS.

Thanks guys for the valuable suggestions I will get on it. I gather work flow means that when you set up say PS CS you can customize your preferences to avoid all the other areas you may not use. Also excellent ideas of how to save on the pricing of CS. Once again many thanks. Randall

almost forgot, as far as books go, anything by bert monroy is great i have gone to some

seminars and got to spend a few hours in his classes he is a genius but his images are

completly rendered in photoshop no scanning or photos, he wrote the first manual for

photoshop! for books more aimed at photography and photoshop cs the two i like the best

this year are kevin ames "the art of photographing women" and "how to wow photoshop

for photography" by jack davis and ben whitmore. my 2 cents hope it helps