Finding a good ND filter system

aepelbacher

This question has most likely been asked and answered a few dozen times, but I'm

not finding it. So I'll ask again. Sorry!

I want to read a comprehensive buying guide for ND and graduated ND filters. I

know absolutely nothing about them, besides the fact that they are a dense

filter that allow you to use longer exposures, and that the graduated kind

allows you to darken only a portion of the scene, which can be advantageous when

shooting at sunrise/sunset. I am also aware that these filters are available in

different *levels* of density, so to speak, and are called "1 stop", "2 stop", etc.

What I'm looking for is something online that has the following information:

(1) a thorough explanation of the advantages vs. disadvantages of using a

square, drop-in system vs. the round, threaded filters; (2) comparisons of

different brands of filters; (3) do I have to purchase each filter individually

(i.e., the different stop levels, for different lens' thread sizes, the

graduated ND separate from the full ND's, etc.) or do some of the companies make

packages of filters; (4) compare the advantages vs. disadvantages of the

plastic (acetate?) vs. the glass filters; (5) give me an idea of the relative

price ranges that I should expect to be paying for each filter or for a package

of filters and from different manufacturers.

Is there something like this on any of the photo sites? Here at PN? I have

tried to search and can't find the answers to these questions (am I looking in

the wrong place?) I tried Adorama's buyers' guide, but it was very basic, and

didn't really help. I have googled the question to no avail. Certainly, I'm

not the only dim-witted person out here who has these questions.

Any links that anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated!

Help! :-)

For a solid ND filter that you're only going to use to extend the exposure time, it won't matter whether you use round screw-in or rectangular. It's going to cover the entire front element either way. If you're looking at split ND's then square (rectangular) is definitely the way to go as they're infinitely more versatile in allowing you to position the gradation line wherever you want to whereas the round ones will basically force you to use a 50/50 composition every time.

As far as plastic goes, they're very light weight, but they also scratch very easily. The scratches don't appear in the photos, even using very small apertures, but they do cause major and uncontrollable flare when shooting into the sun. Glass I would suspect (I don't know) is probably much more susceptible to shattering if you drop it, and I'm not sure how it handles flexing inside the camera bag either. I should probably also add that it took 10 years for my filters to become as scratched up as they are, and they probably wouldn't be as scratched up as they are if I had realized in the beginning how easily they scratch as I would have taken better care when using them.

There are a ton of ND filter threads on this site, and from memory I think generally Tiffen and other cheaper brands are known for not being neutral and introducing a colour cast to your photos. Singh-Ray, Lee, etc are truly neutral and don't introduce any colour casts.

Also, if anybody with experience would like to add some comments about the pros and cons of glass filters, I'm also curious as it's about time to replace my old scratched up plastic ones.

http://www.singh-ray.com/srgnd2.html

http://www.singh-ray.com/shawarticle.html

You can get all this information from threads on photo.net. Just not all in one place. Suggest you read whats on here ( a search on "ND grads" gives 248 responses, and you'll get more if you search on Singh Ray, Lee Filters, and Hitech as well) and come back with the one or two issues that will remain, since I doubt that what you want exists in the detail you seem to demand.

Incidentally the article pointed towards in the post above is getting long in the tooth- for example it says that Singh Ray make their grads from glass. They don't- they use CR39 optical resin like all the main brands and have done for a long time. Suggest also that you look at the web-sites of the manufacturers above.

Buying guides sometimes guide you to buying the site's or the manufacturer's products. That said, the filter makers' catalogs, etc., may give some general tips or examples of the filters in use as well.

While useful at sunrise/sunset, grad NDs can be plenty useful whenever the sky and foreground or subject are broadly different in brightness. So landscapes may benefit from them at more than just sunrise/sunset. I thought Galen Rowell's Mountain Light Gallery site had an article on use of grad filters but I don't find it quickly. The Filter Connection has some good general information.

http://mountainlight.com/filters.html

http://www.2filter.com/

Google on "use of graduated filters" or similar terms should bring up something. I doubt you'll find a single comprehensive article.

My impressions/suggestions?

The square or rectangular grad filters can be adjusted to change the point at which the gradation changes across the image. Either can be rotated. A "filter system" may require special considerations/techniques or modifications to avoid vignetting on wider angles compared to a screw on filter which fits closer. One of Rowell's articles discusses trimming down the Cokin holder, etc. here's also a wide holder. Or you can buy the wider systems - checking sources will give you a variety of ideas of what's available and sizes of systems.

Other's can probably give better brand comparisons, my experience is limited. I agree that Cokin seems to have a cast and I've gone for HiTech now on my grads/NDs.

You generally don't have to buy multiple sizes of filters for different filter ring diameters. There are stepping rings available for round filters - you would get the largest needed filter and step up rings for smaller diameter lenses to fit the filter. With square systems, or at least Cokin, there are adapter rings for the different diameters that fit the holders. Or you could fit them to the step up rings as well. With wide angles, the potential exists for vignetting as you add rings, layers, holders, etc.

Advantages/disadvantages of plastic versus glass? I'd guess it's like glasses. Plastic is stronger but maybe has a little less suitability to some coating processes? Glass is heavier but harder? Plastic may scratch more readily but won't break as easily? I'd think you could get a good idea of price ranges by checking Filter Conection, B&H and Adorama. There may also be some auction/internet sites which do better but that's the subject to all the usual caveats.

Use of stepping rings, adapters, etc., may require you to also get different lens caps, may interfere with use of lens hoods, etc.

• 2 months later...