Comparing Nikon SLR

johnnystiletto

We have both ... I have the N90s and my husband has the N80. He wasnted a smaller lighter camera to travel with and for me to have as a backup to my camera.

I *tried* to convince him to get a F100 instead - but he's a casual snapshooter and the N80 is really more camera than he'll ever use. He was happy with my point n shoot L35 till he discovered the 'zoom' factor when I got my N90s....

OK .. comparison.. my opinion only!

Favoring the N90s - focuses faster - especially in low light. Tougher construction. Mine has survived being dropped on the driveway with just scratches and a cracked lenshood. For me, the weight of it makes it easier to hold steady. The N90s will meter with manual lenses. I think it's easier to use. This last point may be because I'm way more used to the N90s ...

Favoring the N80 - lighter, easier to carry. Onboard flash, altho I have yet to get a good pic using it - I keep forgetting to take lenshoods off! Newer and because of the multi focusing points and two wheel control, is able to utilize the VR lenses and G lenses. I'm not particularly fond of G lenses, but they seem to be the future at Nikon.

My particular gripe with the N80 is that it's taking me much longer to figure out how to use it than the N90s.

As far as lenses - The lenses that get used the most around here are the Nikon 28-105 and the 70-300 (non G). Those two are the lenses my husband likes best on his N80. We kinda argue about the 28-105 because he bought the Tamron version w/ his camera but likes the Nikon version much more!

We also have the 18-35 and the 80-200 2.8 that I mostly use.

I like all our Nikon lenses.

'shana

shoshana: thanks for the comparison! now that i've held the n80 i agree with you completely.

a coworker of mine brought his n80 to work tonight so i could check it out. turns out that, even though i wanted a lightweight camera, the n80 is TOO light for my tastes. it's even lighter than my beloved ae-1! tomorrow i get to check out the n90s; a dear friend has one WITH the lens i want, so i will get to 'test run' it for about a week.

Not to bug anyone, but what's TOO light about the F80? Does it "not feel professional enough"? Ok, when I held the entry level EOS bodies, they did feel a bit too fragile, but the F80 is definitely well built in its own category, and it weighs around 450g if I am right, which is not ultralight. Unless you are using 70-200-ish F/2.8 zooms on the camera, I don't think it is in any way harder to handle a light camera than a heavy one. The contrary may be true.