A12 vs. 12 Film Backs

abintraphoto

The 12 back is worth about $100-125 max. . It is a manual back, you advance the film, and look through a hole in the back for number 1 frame and then start shooting. But a advanage is you can shoot 220 film in a 12 back IF YOU HAVE THE HASSELBLAD RUBBER STOPPER for the hole in the back. A used A-12 back you just load the film and advance to the start arrow and put the insert in the back advance film untill it stops automatically. A A-12 back is worth about $225-250 used and about $400-500 new.Iwould not buy any used back without a chance to shoot a few rolls and check for spacing on the exposures.Hassey service on used backs is about $100 per back.

The major problem I found with ALL Hassie backs is the need to have the light baffle checked on a regular basis (every 2 years) to prevent light leaks where the dark slide enters. Also, the 12 backs will cause light leaks through the number viewing port. I had to stuff cloth in them and tape them over to prevent leaks, and then devise a winding/counting system to advance the film to the proper frame. It's not worth the effort!

The cheapness of the 12 backs is attractive if you want to add a couple hundred onto the price to have them restored.

There are much better system available.

I have a number of A-12 backs and a single 12 back (circa 1957). The 12 back performs as well as any of the A-12 backs. It is only slightly more inconvenient to use, but at $225 it's no deal. You should check eBay for current pricing, but realistically, I think it's worth $150-160. $225 will get you an older A-12 in decent condition.

The fact that you can use 220 film in a 12 magazine is almost useless. I would never trust the uneven spacing on a commercial assignment and 120 is fine for personal use. Finally, you should know that A-12 backs are the most liquid Hasselblad commodity, being constantly bought and sold. If you have a little patience, you should be able to get an A-12 for close to $200.

Gentlemen,

I've been watching ebay and Shutterbug magazine religiously and have never seen ANY HB film back for less than the 225$ I mentioned ....

As I noted in mint condition or any condition for that matter ..... Please direct me to your source for HB film backs in the price ranges you mention.

Thanks ........... Ken

Todd wrote: "Also,the 12 backs will cause light leaks through the number viewing port" Years ago, I bought three brand new 12 backs and never experienced this kind of light leaks. I still use them. Like Ken, I would also like to know the source for a HB back in excellent +++ and or mint condition for around $200. Thanks for your response, Tito.

I own three 12 backs and they all work perfectly. No leaks and no spacing problems. I replace the light traps myself with parts from Hasselblad (It's easy!) I paid about $200 for each of them and that is about market value as far as I can tell. The gentleman who bought the A12s for under $250 was quite lucky. They are very rare at that price, even on eBay if they don't need a major overhaul (add $100 to the price for that from an indie service center) and I sure as heck wouldn't sell my 12s for $100 to $150. A good 12 back is fine, and easy to use (put a Lindahl darkslide holder on it and it goes from being good to being fabulous!)

• 3 years later...