files are the wrong type and they display in the file browser as very

tiny images. I was able to open the files with PS7 so i don't think

that there is anything intrinsically wrong witht he files. From

everything I read, I was under the impression that I could directly

open the files with the camera raw filter or by double clicking the

image int he browser. Does any one have any ideas as to what I am

doing wrong?

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, and I have Adobe RAW 2.3 plugin installed.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't the following tip mean to updgrade from an earlier version?

"Download the latest Adobe RAW 2.2 Plugin and install and you should be fine from there."

Ike,

Usually if there is a problem opening the NEFs in PS CS it indicates only a few possible problems.

1. The RAW Plug-in is installed in the wrong directory? It should be in x:\....\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats. The name of the file should be "Camera Raw.8bi" with a file size of 4,877,496 bytes and a creation date of July 01, 2004.

2. Their are conflicting plugins installed. ie: There are plugins installed in multiple directories with the main Photoshop CS directory. Do a search in the photoshop directory to see if you can find other raw plugins and MOVE them to a directory outside of the photoshop directory. Move them (dont delete) just in case you need to put them back at some point.

3. Nikon Software such as Capture, Picture Project or Nikon View has installed a plug-in of its own over the top of the one you installed. This only happens if you installed OR UPGRADED any of the software listed above after you installed the Adobe Plugin and usually does not produce an error it just gives you a less capable raw plugin.

The other possible option is that the 2.3 plugin you dowloaded may have been corrupted during the ZIP extraction process. In which case you should download the plugin again and copy this newer version to the plugin directory. Don't forget to unzip it before installing.

Hope this gives you some leads as to were to begin looking at least. It does however sound like PS CS is simply not loading the plug-in so I would look first to make sure it is installed the right directory.

Regards,

Brett