katie h.

I have been offered a great deal on a Bronica ETRSi with a zoom lens

but I notice that I (and the lady who is selling)have a very

difficult time telling if I've focused it correctly. Would a

brighter veiwing screen help with this problem? Are zooms darker to

focus through than primes? I hate to make this investment and then

have trouble with simple things like focusing. Thanks,

Katie

Yes, because even the best zoom lenses have a smaller aperture than high-speed primes they are darker in the finder and therefore harder to focus. Yes, a brighter viewing screen will help, but how much I can't say. Besides, a prism finder is always darker than a waist level finder on the same camera -- so if you're using a prism a WLF will help.

Zoom lenses are slower than prime lenses (many of the ETR zooms are f4.0). A prime f2.8 ETR lens would be brighter:

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=ET&cid=06&sid=newused&crid=9606307

If there is a switch to change between manual and automatic aperture use, then ensure it is set on Automatic (or that the lens is wide open when checking viewfinder brightness).

"Brandon's Dad"

I would get the leaf shutter primes rather than a zoom, but if it comes as part of a kit, I guess it would be useful in other situations (for weddings), although you'd have to take into account your ability to handhold it. Even with primes and the brightest screens, focusing is not fast and easy all the time. In lower light levels, you are still going to have trouble. In fast moving situations like weddings, a split image screen, preferably with microprism collar usually helps. I use the split image most of the time, and with some lenses, the microprism pattern is great for confident focusing. With a split image screen, you can focus on the grooms's (or other man's) lapel--where it contrasts with his white shirt--and get pretty close to correct distance quickly. With a moderate f-stop, you have a margin of error anyway. Wide angles are difficult to focus using the viewfinder regardless of screen brightness. With wide angles and in very low light (like darkened reception halls), I use pre-focus techniques anyway.

I'd get a split image/microprism screen and work with it before getting a brighter screen. Besides, Bronica's screen might already be as bright or close to a Brightscreen or Maxwell screen. My Hasselblad's screen is. It's always best to develop your sense of distance and double check your viewfinder focusing against the distance scale and or just pre-focus your lens based on experience at estimating distances. If you get good at this, you can photograph the whole wedding without viewfinder focusing and be more accurate to boot, assuming you're not always shooting wide open.