Search by equipment

anbeck

Hello,

I wonder if it was possible to implement a search in all the submitted

photos by the equipment that was used to make this photo.

For example if I wanted to buy a new lens, I could search for photos

with the Canon 135mm 2.8 Soft Focus.

Or the best rated photos that were shot with a Holga ;-)

I mean the equipment that was used for the photo is already stored in

the portfolios.

What do you think?

Andre

Good idea, useful & fun, but maybe not practical (although I'd love to see who else is using a Falcon Miniature). There seemed to be a lot of variation in the way the equipment used to be described, might be hard to get all the results when some people would say SX70 and some Polaroid etc...

I, for one, would like to see details of the equipment displayed with the photograph. Unfortunately so many photos are uploaded without even naming the camera.

When I was looking for a camera, I used to visit sites like photo.net to compare photos taken by different cameras.

It would help future equipment hunters to make a better decision if these details are also uploaded.

Augustine.

There are probably two main reasons that we don't support searching by equipment:

(1) the equipment database used for uploaded photos is a huge mess, with dozens of overlapping and duplicated equipment categories

(2) the dominant feature of photos uploaded to photo.net is that they are almost without exception downsampled, compressed, sharpened, and color-managed digital files that have been through image editing software and/or scanning software. Then they are displayed on computer monitors of wildly inconsistent resolution, pitch, and color calibration. All this masks any equipment or film differences that might otherwise have been important, and that you might have been able to see in a slide or contact print, except perhaps perspective effects due to choice of lens focal length.