baby and was extremely pleased with my results. My Nettar is a

518/16 and has the Novar Anastigmat lens. When I first got this

camera I thought the lens wouldn't be that great, but I guess it

doesn't matter much with such large negatives! The only thing I

wish is that it was faster. Check out this <a

href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=415935">link</a>

for two of my pics and a shot of my Nettar. Anyone else have one of

these? Show me your pics!

Faster than what? It has either a 6.3 or a 4.5 on it. You very seldom ever shoot down there, the lens will just look like crapola at those apertures. Shoot it f8 and above. f11 seems to be the sweet spot on my Nettars. Of course, the sun usually shine out here in Califoria so I am not constrained very often by light conditions. Often PanF finds it way into my 518/16.

I got some beautiful photos with this camera using color print film and a Sunpak flash with sync cord.

tim in san jose

Tim,<p>I guess I'm so used to my other lenses that I always look for the OOF for isolation shots in my lenses. I know they(Nettars) didn't come faster, but I can still want it. ;-) I'd love to see some of your pics, post 'em here.

Lovely Lynn,<p>You're right, mums the word! ;-) Thank you for the kind words. As to the computer shot, I was testing to see how well I could focus using the scale on the lens. I was very pleased. No rangefinder, zone focus only. I still forget and blow a frame every now and then, but I think in the long run it is helping me think more before pulling the trigger. ;-)

I think the problems some people encounter with the Zeiss Novar lens have similar reasons as the problems of the Moskva Tessar-clone lenses. Most people expect much more from a Zeiss (Tessar clone) lens than from the usual sometimes mediocre triplet designs on El Cheapo brand folding cameras - and are disappointed since those lenses suffer from the same problems as any other lens on folding cameras (misalignment, fungus, and sometimes repair attacks on the Moskvas).

After cleaning and readjusting the 1931 vintage Novar on my Ikonta520A performs quite similar to a Schneider Xenar of similar vintage. The Novar is just as sharp in the corners at f/4.5 as the Xenar at f/3.5, so the extra half stop of the Xenar lens is not worth too much. I showed some 6x4.5 slides shot with the Novar to a friend who usually shoots with a NikonF3 and Nikon lenses, and he was very impressed (OK, those slides were shot at f/8 and beyond on a sunny day).

It's frustrating sometimes...... I've spent the last 3-4 in an intense effort to get up to speed with B&W photography and darkroom work. I shoot with a couple of very fine TLRs and a Canon AE-1 system. I sweat different developers and techniques.

Yet some of the best stuff I've got was taken with my 517/16 (which was my first medium format camera, $30.00 thanks very much), Tri-X, and Rodinal.

I'm glad this thread came along. I'm gonna get the Nettar off the shelf and run a few rolls through it.

Henry,

The motorcycle picture looks amazingly sharp. I just bought a new 517/16 on ebay. I went through a Tri-X 400 and am waiting for the roll to be developed. Three questions...

1. Can anyone point me to the right place for instructions using this camera. This is my first step into MF and am not sure if my frame advancing was correct. Will have to wait and see.

2. Where to get the pictures scanned.

3. I used a Soligor spot meter for my first roll. Is there a quick dirty trick here, so i don't have to carry the spot meter all the time.

Shyam

<i>1. Can anyone point me to the right place for instructions using this camera.</i><p>

Can't help you here, sorry.

<p>

<i>2. Where to get the pictures scanned.</i><p>I go to Costco, they do a pretty good for the money.<p>

<i>3. I used a Soligor spot meter for my first roll. Is there a quick dirty trick here, so i don't have to carry the spot meter all the time.</i><p>I use sunny f16 since I'm mostly shooting outside.

1. Can anyone point me to the right place for instructions using this camera. This is my first step into MF and am not sure if my frame advancing was correct. Will have to wait and see.

You have a red window on the back. Roll the film untill you see a '1'. Set shutter speed, cock shutter, choose aperture, focus and frame, trip shutter. Advance till you see the number '2'. Repeat until you get to '12'. After '12' roll off the film and open the back. Tighten down the film (roll it a bit while holding the end of the paper), seal it.

2. Where to get the pictures scanned.

Professional lab.

3. I used a Soligor spot meter for my first roll. Is there a quick dirty trick here, so i don't have to carry the spot meter all the time.

Sunny 16.

I have three of these cameras and use them on a regular basis. After trying the first one on a whim(A garage sale 515 Nettar), I was hooked. Since then I picked up one of each of the other sizes and love them all. I have the following: 515 Nettar (6x4.5) f4.5/75mm Tessar lens, Telma shutter; 515/16 Nettar (6x6) f4.5/75mm Novar lens, Vario shutter; 518/2 Nettar IIc (6x9) f4.5 105mm Novar lens, Vario shutter. With the exception of the 518/2 they cost well under US$30.00 and were in quite useable condition when I first got them. But after a CLA they are unbeliveable!

The 515 (6x4.5) has a softness to the focus that makes for wonderful portraits and I use it almost exclusively for that. Just have to carry a tape measure as it doesn't have a range finder:) (We measure in meters here in Canada and my meters to feet conversion is not particularly consistent).

The 518/16 (6x6) I use for mountaineering as it is small, light and easily fits into my pack or jacket pocket. Added bonus, the lens is extreamly sharp with good contrast so I get great mountain shots. And I can crop the prints as need be and still get good enlargements.

The 518/2 (6x9) I use for any time I want larger prints or fine detail like in panoramic shots. Again the lens is sharp with little to no softness to the edges, depending on the f stop.

I generally use Kodak Tri-X or Ilford Delta 100 B/W film but have tried some Fuji Reala 100 and Velvia 50 with good results.

Don't know if I'm just lucky to have found some good ones or if the quality of mine is indicative of these cameras in general, but I love the feel of using them and love the photos they make.

Just give me my Nettars, my tripod, a few 35.5mm slip on filters, a cable release and my trusty Weston Master III and I,m all set to do some injustice to the photographic world.

Augh! I was on the verge of getting rid of my Nettar 515/16 (cleaning out the closets and whatnot) when I saw the photos here.

I've had the Nettar for five years and made some of my best pictures with it. Just because it's so pocketable I have had at hand when the great moments show up. I have used Agfa APX25 with this, handheld. Fond memories. Thanks to the pictures here, "Lady Netta" might be here for another five years to come.

Jimi

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, that is just great.

Well I've collected 4 Nettars of varying image sizes, ages and shutter mounts. Every one is just superb. Lynn is dead right, keep the secret. I even bought a 6x9 Ikonta with a Tessar that looked like rejected garbage - for about 20 aussie bucks, I walked away with a camera that needed 30 minutes of spit and polish, careful lens clean and some shutter exercise. Then I ran a roll though it - what a joy.

Now I will fully restore it - do the thing some justice. So even some Ikontas are being ignored. For the hell of it, I just grab what I run into and marvel at the Zeiss-Ikon genius of the pre-War years.

By the way, I grabbed a Kodak-Nagel 33 for less than 50 bucks with its beautiful original cow-hide case (mint). The camera was litterally covered in dirt. But after a couple of hours of TLC I uncovered a mint condition camera without one mark on it - no signs that the bellows had ever been extended!! and sensational bright work, leather covering, and enamel.

Now I think I'm seriously becoming obsessed!!

Take more photos!