Problem with my Rolleicord IV -I guess is the shutter-

ricardo_villagran

Hello, I will appreciate any assistance here!

My english is very bad so I am going to try to explain myself as clear as possible.

I have a Rolleicord IV, now when I advance the film, everything goes okey until when I get

to frames, 4 or 5, moment when the camera do not allows me to advance more. I realized

that if I move the shutter release a little, then the crank gets loose again and I am able to

keep advancing the film, but I am sure that is not normal... :-( Do you know if I can repair

it? is it worthy? I saw a couple of these cameras on ebay going for 100 bucks, so I don't

know what to do!!! Thanks in advance for any help!! Ricardo

Sending it to Harry Fleenor (at link above) will probably cost more than another one off eBay. On the other hand, Harry Fleenor (that's in California) is a top notch technician and the fix will likely be as good as new. Getting one off eBay may lead to similar problems in the future, as you don't really know who had it and how it was used (hopefully not abused). Rolleicords are very durable, and the latter isn't all that likely as long as the camera is in really good condition. In such it'll cost above $150 (usually).

There are less expensive options (read: rollei repair shops) and you can find them on photo.net (search for rollei repair shops). Personally I have used Harry Fleenor and can attest to the high quality of his work. Whether it's worth the money is another matter. Some claim that other repair shops are just as good, yet at half the price.

I would send harry Fleenor an email at

harry@rolleirepairs.com

and simply ask the same thing you're asking here. He is a professional in every respect and you should get a decent idea of what to expect.

• 8 months later...

Of course he is meaning the Knob.

Interestingly I have the same problem with a recently bought Rolleicord IV. The film advance get stuck on the 5th and 6th

frame, but moving the release button slightly to the left

I can workaround the problem. I think it is a minor nuisance.

I wonder however if this is a common or "Known Problem" for

the Rolleicord IV. Have anybody else experienced it? /Thomas