justin_lee

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience converting video lenses

to work on a 35mm SLR.

I pulled an old Fujinon video lens (HZ-E12) from a professional JVC

video camera and it's interested me enough to try and find a way to

mate it with my FM.

It's a 9mm-108mm/1.7-2.0 lens with a built in 2x Teleconverter, macro

focussing, back focus adjustment and a minimum focusing distance of

.95 metres. It appears to be multicoated as well.

I'm doubtful the image circle will be large enough, but it appears as

though there should be enough clearance for the mirror.

Any idea where I should start?

I also had the idea of building a wooden box and putting the lens at

one end and a Graflok back at the other! Now that would be pretty fun.

Cheers,

Justin Lee

Look at the image sensor in the camera. Just from the spec's on the lens, I can tell you that sensor will be tiny.

There's some slim chance it might be usable with APS -maybe with major vignetting, but I doubt even that.

Try a Pentax Auto110 or the Minolta 110Zoom or the Mark ii. The Graflok back is completely out of the question.

Bryce' suggestion on the Pentax 110 or Minolta 110 SLRs is the best!

The back focal lengths of these are normally too small and coverage without the doubler is a tiny 3/4 inch (the ENG format).

I had a majestic TV zoom lens coupled to a Praktica SLR. Got circular images almost up to the highest end (9-135mm zoom).

Vivek.

The Pentax 110 has a diaphram not in the lens; but in the camera body; below the lens mounting flange. The diaphram is adjusted as one part of the exposure controll. <BR><BR>In c mount video; B&H had surplus 10x ratio video zooms for 29 dollars about 2 years ago, it was ok for video; but abit less than stellar in raw resolution; on a film camera. This was a cheaper zoom; designed for a high MTF at lower cycles; for video. <BR><BR>You might buy a surplus video camera; and have some fun.

That Canon TV lens 50mm f/0.95 is the same as the one made for the Canon

range finder 7z. It has a breach lock mount and mounts perfectly. Only the range finder groove (can be done on the metal rear end) is absent.

The Canon TV lenses were supplied with a breach lock mount to C-mount adaptor.

Vivek.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions.<p>

I really don't care too much about full coverage off the image circle. Maybe instead of using my TLR and "thinking square" I can "think circle". :)<p>

I'm also uncertain about using 110 film. Sure, the cameras might be cheap, but no one really makes or stocks the film anymore.<p>

The video camera this lens fits weighs about 20 lbs, and requires a "portable VCR" unit that probably weighs another 10 lbs. I think I'll stick to my MiniDV camera.<p>

If I were to stick to 35mm, I could probably find something old and worthless to salvage a mount, buy a roll of duct tape, maybe some crazy glue, a mig welder... :)<p>

I couldn't find the Canon/Leica thread, but I did find this <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004GjD">one</a>.<p>

Thanks a bunch,

Justin Lee

Justin: Walmart; Walgreens; and both grocery stores here stock 110 film; but only Walgreens has tri-x in 35mm! <BR><BR>What kind of mount does your lens have? <BR><BR>What is the back focus from lens mount flange to infinity focus?<BR><BR>This will help answer what type of camera and adapter might be fitted to you lens.

Kelly,

I'm surprised there's that much 110 film lying around, although I honestly have never looked for some. A few years ago I heard that Kodak and Fuji had discontinued their 110 production. Rather, when I was still working at a camera store a few years ago, we weren't able to get in anymore from Kodak or Fuji.

Regardless, I'm more comfortable using 135, 120 or sheet film.

As for the lens, the zoom is internal and the focussing rotates the front elements. The flange sticks out about 3/8ths of an inch. There is back focus adjustment, but it can recess only 3/16ths-ish of an inch within the flange. It came from a JVC KY-210. I can't tell the distance from the sensor as there's some glass immediately after the mount on the camera.

Justin