Weston Meter

From the results of my post below I found out that the Luna-Pro meters

are quite big, and that is not what I am looking for. My next choice

as an accoutrement for my M2 is a Weston... but which one? Is the

Master V the most desirable as a user?

<p>

I'm looking for one that isn't too expensive and works well for

incident readings (so I will need the intercone). Whatever I get I

will be sending it down to Quality Light Metric for a physical.

<p>

Thanks again, Nick

Just a thought, but have you considered a Gossen Sixtomat Digital or Sixtomat Flash? (these weren't mentioned in the previous thread). These are also pretty small (shirt pocket size) meters, and aren't that much more expensive than the Digisix:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_produkte.html

Sorry this doesn't answer your question!

TheMaster V (or similar Euromaster) is definitely the most desirable because it has a reading locking button and more information than you could ever hope for on the dial. The down side is it's a photocell so not too useful in low light situations and the cell may not have much life expectancy. I had a Master IV then a V (and the marvelous Ranger 9 - sitting and waiting for a proper mercury battery replacement). The V offers the most flexibility. Unfortunately eBay prices for used "I don't know if it works" models are around $50, so I'll continue to use my Quantum Calculight and Master III (both direct direct and incident) with my non-meter cameras.

Barry Mabery

Thanks for the responese!

<p>

Richard - the Gossen meters that you mentioned are fine, but if I can't have super low-light capability, battery independence would be nice.

<p>

Bill - I'm really looking for a hand-held meter, otherwise the Leicameter would be fine.

<p>

It seems like the Weston meters have a strong following for their reliability and durability, but I have not been able to find too much info on the differences between the various models.

<p>

Thanks, Nick

I have a Weston V and it is a great meter I would recomend it, also I think in the UK someone is or was making them again. I used this meter for about two years after moving form a sekonic l-398 mainly because the weston was much more responsive and had both reflective and incident measurement. It goes great with with an older M and is easy to carry. I now use a Pentax Spotmeter and can say with out a reservation that a spot meter is the best available way to measure light but it is much bigger. I still carry the Weston sometimes for the ease, and when really low light work is necessary as it still measures lower than the pentax. Last I had my meter calibrated at Quality Light Metric? in hollywood califonia and can also recomend thier service. I hope this of help to you, Cheers George

I 2nd the Leica Meter. Couples to the shutter dial. They are reflective meters but I find them very accurate. They can be picked up on ebay in working user condition for around $75. The original mercury batteries can be picked up on the internet for around $8 and last at least 5 years.

The cell have a limited life,but as been said they can be replaced. I think you are better off with a known dead meter and relacing the cell. If kept in the dark except for use, they last a long time. My personel favorite was my master 4 as the calculater dial was calibrated in 1/3 stop increments, but each division was not labeled. The five is harder to read with all the divisions printed with 1/3 stop numbers and fractional shutter speeds as 1/320 too. My 4 quit after 15 years, and I threw it away because it could not be fixed at that time. I replaced it with a non working 5 from Adorama and had it repaired. Master 4 seems to be hard to find. 5 is acceptable. Keep it in your pocket when not actually taking a reading.

Consider buying a new one so you get the invercone for incident readings. Very accurate.

These will not read the very low light like a luna pro, but for most application they are adequate. 4 and 5 read lower light than earlier models.

http://www.westonmeter.org.uk/ will tell you all you need to know with really good pictures of each model and years of manufacture.

Nick: I second the Weston V. It's a fine instrument. I just got that and an old Sekonic L-VI

overhauled at Quality Light Metric. I don't really need all of these meters, so if you are

interested in the Sekonic, I'd be willing to let it go to you for a price that won't hurt your

wallet. It's very compact. About 1/2 the size of the Weston....but.....reflected readings

only (I don't know if there is a incident attachment.) It has it's original leather case and

chain. Send an email if you are interested.

Nick: I'm nopt sure which Gossen you were looking at, but my Luna-Pro digital F fits in my shirt pocket. It's about 2 x 4 inches, but is thin--about 5/8 inch. The Weston is almost as large frontally, and is thicker. I carry the Digital F in the front pocket of my Domke F-5XB bag when traveling light with a Leica.

Weston Master (Mine is IV) - nice built quality, but sluggish to use. Invercone or low light metering (this is a Leica forum) like a snail. Better suited to Linhof than Leica. Not very small, but acceptable.

Gossen Lunapro digital F - fast, reasonable meter, can do almost everything, same size as classic Weston, much easier to use. Measures flash! Modern digital plastics.

Gossen Lunapro SBC - superb handlling, same size as Leica CL, seems not make to much sense on a M.

Leicameter (do not have one) - fast if attached on a Leica, reasonable good handling, CdS is preferred but a Mercury 1.35V battery is needed. Me, I would get one for a Leica.

Voigtl䮤er meter - slow tipsy handling, overpriced, very small. It is an option if a Leicameter is not available.

I use a Gossen Sixtar which is not too expensive and perfect for light use down to 1s/f2 on ISO 100 film. It uses a mercury cell, but on the other hand costs about EUR 15 used. Alternatively there is a small Sixtino from Gossen which is a very small battery-free meter. It is also available new if I remember correctly.

I just bought a Sekonic Twinmate L208 for use with a Leica and I'm liking it a lot. Small, cheap, easy to use (unlike Digisix), easy to use incident dome, holds readings. Only goes down to EV3 @ ISO 100 but then whadda ya expect for 70 quid? It uses the needle match system which I think is faster and more intuitive than EV or digital readouts etc.