dust inside Hassy Zeiss 80mm f2.8 CF (12 yrs old)

jerry_vincent

When I look through my 80mm at a fairly bright light source I notice what seems like a fine dust inside the lens. I plan on getting the lens serviced (cleaned, lubed, etc) and was wondering if any of you out there has had a similar problem with internal dust. I'm concerned that if the technician tears my lens totally apart it may never be the same as far as each element being in the exact and proper place. I once had a 55mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor that shed fine particles of paint off the diaphragm leaves onto the inside elements. The resulting pictures were soft and low contrast. That lens was successfully cleaned.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

The dust is probably particles from the leaf shutter blades. I wouldn't

worry about it. I have shutter blade particles in all of my lenses, just as

anyone else on the MFD is going to have w/ leaf shutters assuming the equipment gets healthy use. It doesn't affect the image quality unless you have a LOT of dust. Any qualified lens technician should be able to clean it.

<p>

--Jim

With a spanner wrench, unscrew the serial number ring, then unscrew the front lens cell. From the front, blow the rear glass off, blow the rear glass off on the front cell and put it back together the same way you took it apart. No more dust!

I followed Dick's advice carefully and now my 80 CF is nice and clean. From my experience I learned:

Use a precise fitting spanner - file tips to fit

Apply steady pressure - don't force things, the front ring unscrewed hard because it had some sort of glue inside to keep it from unscrewing unexpectedly

Have a nice clean, well lit work area

If unsure, spend the money and get it fixed by a pro