New AF lense from Rollei at Photokina?

john_banister1

No I did not go. However a week ago I talked to an independent salesman who represents Rollei in my part of the country. Apparently Rollei has sold off all the parts of their company except the 6000 system. This includes the 35 mm RF, digital cameras and twin lenses cameras. They are struggling to keep going and are supposedly trying to get out an AF 50 mm lens next year.

I hope this is all wrong as I love the 6000 system and have a massive investment in it. However, it may be going the way of Bronica which will fold its tent at the end of October.

Ed Carmick

Thanks for taking the time to tell me.

Imacon backs and Jenoptik backs and some Phase One backs work with Rollei 6000 series. I never did understand why more companies

didn't adopt something like Imacon's i-adapter concept, or even

standardize adapters between manufacturers so that any camera with

a standard digital back adapter could work with any digital back.

I suppose that that would be too cooperative, and not competitive

enough.

Hi Ed,

In your message, you stated that Rollei sold off all the parts of their company with the exceptions of the 6000 system. If that is correct, it doesn't sound too good for Rollei. Which company was it that bought the parts you mentioned below?

However a week ago I talked to an independent salesman who represents Rollei in my part of the country. Apparently Rollei has sold off all the parts of their company except the 6000 system. This includes the 35 mm RF, digital cameras and twin lenses cameras.

I do not know where any 'independent Rollei representatives' are getting their information from, however according to the Rollei homepage the operations are expanding rather than contracting (or being 'sold off'). There is scant info available under the English language News page, but the German pages have a lot of news with regard to fresh initiatives and new products (mostly digital). there are references to management appointments, etc, for the immediate future, and some expectations of projects into 2005.

It all looks fairly much 'business as usual', however I am also awaiting the promised 50mm/2.8AF from Schneider/Rollei. Perhaps they *are* pulling in their horns on the MF front, but no indication is available to support this contention, other than rumour or guessing by sales people.

Didn't anyone attend Photokina and actually *ask* Rollei about their plans for the 6000 series? Too far away for me (in Australia).

It seems that salespeople are not informed anymore nowadays.

Ed's above stated "sold out exept..." is not true.

All products on the Rollei website are in production and available.

For further information: ask directly in the factory by e-mail. I always got an answer.

Hejdå, Urs

When I asked here, I also sent an email from the Rollei USA website.

I recently got the following email back from "rolleiinfo@intac.com" :

Hello

The new 50mm f2.8 Schneider Super Angulon was shown at Photokina. No plans

for the 100mm at this time. We will send more details as they become

available.

Thank you

Answer to Ed's Statement and making my own post above more precise: the Rollei website

describes most Rollei-products; devided in Mediumformat (6000 series + Accs+ Lenses),

Classic Cameras ( TLRs ), Projectors(slide 35+6x6), bellow cameras(X-act), digitalcameras,

multimedia, metric, special technology. This items( and more accsessories) are all fully

available and has all been exposed at the Photokina.

The Rollei online-shop offers not all items at once, due to the actual situation on the

german market, I was told.

I'm not employed by Rollei nor do I have benefits out of this post. This is only out of

informations I got. (I'm a journalist and pro-photographer)

Hejdå, Urs

• 2 weeks later...