precautions for shooting in a snowstorm

really__

A few years ago I did a series of photos in a snowstorm. They turned out great, but the

snow was falling pretty good - about an inch per hour (Alta, Utah). Big flakes were landing

on the camera (not a Leica), and about a month later I had to get a CLA. Now that I have an

M6, do think that snowflakes are going to bother it? Are there weather seals around the

button, crank and dials?

I would use a UV filter and hood, blow off as much snow as possible, and keep the camera

in a Zip-Loc bag during cold to warm transitions, but what about just general use? If snow

gets into the lens helicoils, will the grease keep it from doing damage? Or should I really

be looking at those funky UW bags and that sort of thing?

I guess I could use a Stylus, but part of the reason I got a decent Leica is for the sure focus

and manual controls.

In my duck hunting days it seemed that all the best photo opportunities were on snowy or rainy days. I was worried about my Leica but finally realized that a wide brim sombrero provided a built in umbrella for protecting the camera. It also prevents the snow or rain from running down the back of your neck.

I was just shooting in a snowstorm yesterday. Yes, the M6 had drops on it from the snowflakes melting on the camera.

I dont' know about ziploc bags and such. The condensation from moving the camera between temperature variances is a problem, especially when your front lens and your viewfinder get misty then you can't shoot at all.

About a week ago or so I went on a hiking trip. I carried my camera on the outside to take pictures and the viewfinder got misty from the sweat evaporation through my clothes. Also, beware, when you enter a warm room. Your lens and viewfinder will instantly build up condensation until the temperatures align and the condensation evaporates.

The best thing my buddy has (I will get it soon) is a camera hip pack. It has a convenient drawcord and the camera is right in front of you ready. It protected from snow and some rain yet it is immediately available for shooting.

If you are shooting in below freezing, then climatize your gear to the same temp. before letting the snow fall on it. Letting snow fall on a warm camera and melt is preventable. Depending on the situation, I wrap a face cloth around the camera to catch the snow or rain. Before you return to warmer temps make sure there is no snow on the camera, canned air and or a toothbrush, and wrap it up lightly in something cotton, another face cloth, when you bring it back inside to partly insulate and prevent condensation forming on the camera. I do not recommend plastic bags when bringing the camera inside as they do not absorb or wick the moisture away from the camera.

Whoooaa, Harry Geron, you can't eat a photograph, and you can't photograph if you haven't eaten. Get your priorities right. One thing at a time.

I'm a wildlife biologist, and although I'm in the UK, I've worked in both very cold and very wet climates. I always buy breathable coats or anoraks with at least short front zips, so that my camera or binoculars can sit inside and dry out between uses through my body heat. If they steam up despite that, it's time to return to the car heater / camp fire / airing cupboard (do you have a.c's in the States?). If those gentle warming devices fail, the equipment didn't deserve to survive, and good riddance. Dammit, I say to myself, why did I want this gear anyway? Oh good, Sunny 16 days are here again, let's get the camera/bins out and work up a good sweat? No thanks, I want to go swimming on those days.

My basic approach if things get impossibly fogged up is to gently drive the moisture out as soon as possible, leaving it none the worse. Condensation is pure water, and will eveaporate again without marking unless oxidation is allowed to occur. My experience has been that equipment that isn't sealed too well survives best. As others have observed here on PN, even electronic circuitry survives this treatment perfectly OK.

What you musn't do is to leave the gear wet in a bag for several days or even overnight. If you suspect it got damp, dry it out - but gently does it.

Cold to warm transitions happen all the time (like when you raise the camera to your eye), so having the camera in a dry but cold bag is actually counter-productive.

Big wet snow flakes that are close to melting obviously demand more immediate attention than small dry ones that can be huffed off the camera by blowing.

Sorry, not near a scanner until Monday, else snowstorm pictures attached from my much dried-out Nikon FE.

Very simple: simply allow the camera to come down to

surrounding air temp and don't let it warm up while you're using

it. The snowflakes then won't even stick to the camera, much

less melt. A bit tricky if the temp hovers close to 32f, but works

very well with colder temps down to around 0. Be sure to carry a

ziplock in your pocket so you can seal the camera inside this

before returning indoors - and give it a good hour to warm up at

room temp - especially if your heating system is humidified.

My duck camp for forty years in Alaska was in Minto Flats. Can get real narsty in September. Hat gets wet, dead aspen leaves stick on brim and crown, excellent cammofluage -- keep head down while birds come in, look up, birds flare, bingo! Put your gun down, next bunch are your buddy's turn, get a pic of his skill!