More RD-1 Samples...

I tried to translate the page through WorldLingo and got a ton of gibberish...

Anyone has any idea as to what "Is the cute camera the blowing ... the obstinate ... nitrogen " can mean? Also, one of the links mentions the "lens fragrance".

Beats me.

I'm not impressed... I see moire and step ladder artifacts. This better be a very early pre-

production camera! But if we look at the bright side, that means that Leica will be able to

top the competition easily again.

Ya know, I look at these pix and learn nothing.

Does anyone know someone who's made some 8x10's or 11x14's (or digital equivalant sizes) from RD-1 files.

You can take the cheapest digicam and make pix that look as good as the ones posted. The Net covers a multitude of sins.

I looked at the enlarged version of the pix and I also think the quality is not striking... especially background (oh no, not bokeh again!!!) or details like the sand on the skin. But now it could be a Jpeg compression problem or anything else.

I think it is not easy nor fair to judge the quality of RD-1 on those pictures... even with such a kawai (cute) model.

To me, it just shows the RD-1 is working... it takes pictures. :p

The guy was using Voigtlander lenses, so I am eagerly waiting for side by side tests with Leica lenses.

Happy shooting!

Steph-

The RD-1 has already served its purpose, which was to get Leica to toss their broken-record mantra of "it's impossible" and get on with preparing a digital M. Without a real US distributor (not just a couple of nice guys who import them for their own resale)complete with tech support and a factory repair facility, I can't see myself spending that kind of money for one unless the Digital M doesn't materialize.

I would not worry about the nice guys importing those products, I prefer them any time over those bored-to-death folks working in large enterprises who always have something better to do and who put some clueless interns on the phone to get rid of pesky customers who keep calling. I would not be to surprised to see epson taking care of the distribution themselves, and doubt that this would be helpful. A special niche product needs dedicated and enthousiastic people supporting it, and these are hard to find in large corporations. Let's begin with that dude who got the camera for testing and was to bored to be bothered to learn that it has no autofocus.

The leica mantra porbably was crap, although I must confess that I believed it. Will try a 35mm cron with an ancient ccd chip I have,( in case I happen to have to much spare time), but have no doubt that the result will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jorge -

earlier i translated the initial specs on this camera and learned it was the inventor of the

bamboo raincoat, and something about a love house.

If anything Babelfish is good for, it's good for translating Japanese into giggles. :)