moderate trail that could be completed in a day or less. I am looking

for something that would offer a good division between open land

(medows, fields) and forested area. I would be taking a trip in mid/

late August, or Late September. I do know of the provincial parks are

in the area, but I though I would check to see if anyone has a good

starting point.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,

sean: The Gatineau Park area just outside of Ottawa in the province of Quebec has more than 100 miles of trails which are basically crosscountry ski trails but are also suitable for hiking. Depending on your mobility ,car ,bicycle,etc you can enter the system via the Gatineau freeway getting of at either Old Chelsea, Meach Lake road ,or Kingsmere Road. or you can start from the west side of Wrightville outside of Hull Quebec and enter on the Gatineau Drive at Pinks Lake. While I havent been on these trails recently I spent more than thirty years skiing on them and helping to maintain them . Its basically second growth hardwood stands with smaller areas of spuce balsam on the low spots.

The Ottawa Kingston linear Park waterway from the Rideau Canal through the Rideau river to big Rideau lake thense down several small canals and rivers emerging at Kingston Is a very historic route having been built to provide a water route from Montreal to Toronto which was parotected from American incursions. I believe that there are guided trips available or you could rent a small craft.

The Rideau Trail runs from Ottawa to Kingston, ends on Lake Ontario. LOTS of sections can be done in a day hike, the terrain being everything from lakeside, forest,fields, etc. The Cataraqui Trail is an old rail line, runs from the west through Sydenham through Perth Road Village on through Chaffey's Locks (part of the Rideau Canal system) and on up to Smith's Falls; the section from Perth Road Village to Chaffey's has some wonderful scenery, would be a full day hike. You can part at either end, work your way back and forth. I need to find time to run my mountain bike along it, I live nearby. For information on the Rideau Trail: http://www.rideautrail.org/index.html Not the best website, but if you have time to contact them before going they may be able to provide maps. Frontenac Provincial Park is along part of the Rideau Trail, the park has several trails, as does Charleston Lake provincial park over to the east. Both are large parks, plenty of hiking to keep you busy for at least 3 or 4 full days.