17" CRT recommendations

I currently have a powerbook and wanted to get a monitor to do

photoshop work for my Nikon D70. I have been mostly looking at

Viewsonic 17" CRT monitors. Does anybody have any experience with

the G71f+, G75f+, and or P75f+? Or any other brands that are similar

in price. Thank you for your time.

Joshua

If you are looking for a moderately priced CRT in that range, I would suggest you look at something else (I liked the Samsungs). I tried the Viewsonics (in 19 inch) and they really disappointed me. That brightness booster stuff was a joke. Watch your text go fuzzy and highlights blowout! The adjustments don't provide numeric values, so it is very frustrating to setup and adjust. The real image tube is behind a flat mask to make it seem flat until you start using it (many CRTs do this but pull it off better). Finally I was never able to get the picture to be totally square and level on all four sides. Sorry to be so negative but if you are particular like me this stuff will irritate you and I just wanted to save you some return hassle.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

Doug,

Thanks for your response. The G75 has the flat mask that you mention, but the g71 and p75 have a flat aperture grille? Do you know anything aboutt flat aperture grille monitors, like the NEC/Mistubishi Diamond Plus 74? Thanks.

Joshua

"Do you know anything aboutt flat aperture grille monitors, like the NEC/Mistubishi Diamond Plus 74? Thanks."

I've got the Diamond Pro 750sb and have been happy with it. I hear people praising the Iiyama equivalents ahead of Mitsubishi. Same tubes better implementation they say. I've never been able to compare so I remain happy with my 750sb.

Ah there's one little thing, two actually, the wires can sometimes be seen though you ignore them (didn't think I would but I do) after a time. Not before you've spent some time trying to clone them out of a picture in Photoshop though :-)

I have three Samsung 700NFs bought in as many years. The last has been as close to a reference monitor as I've ever seen. It's been discontinued, along with the rest of Samsung's aperture-grille line. I'm about to buy something else because a single 17" has proven a bit small for Photoshop.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109372,00.asp

This is the running list of decent 17" CRTs. Not all are still for sale. The selection for that size is much less distinguished than it was even a year ago; move to Lacie's 19" if you can.

DI