center filter for 75 mm f5.6 Schneider SA

fred_braakman

I just bought a 75mm f8 Schneider super Angulon from Lens and Repro.

It is being shipped tomorrow. I forgot to order a center filter for

it, and I see that Badger Graphics carries the center filter for the

72 mm Schneider. Does the 75 mm take the same center filter as the

72 mm Schneider SA? Thanks.

Fred B

I have the Schneider 72mm xl and the center filter is huge. I don't believe you will find that your f8 75mm will have the honking size of 95mm for filter thread size. The above posting by Mr. Droluk is correct. You can see most info on Schneider center filters at this link: http://www.schneider-kreuznach.com/pdf/foto/CENTERFILTER.pdf

If your f8 version isn't smaller than the f5.6 version than the information should apply. Size and the line up of the gradation is the big problem here. I've gotten away, though, with things like using my center filter from my Schneider 58mm xl on my Caltar 90mm lens, but the thread size on both is 67mm.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a somewhat similar situation: a center filter for a Super Angulon 90mm f/8 lens in hand that I'm going to try using on a Caltar II-N (Rodenstock Grandagon N) 75mm f/4.5 lens. Both are 67mm threads (on the lens), but the light-fall-off-with-radius curves published by the manufacturers are different though not by a ton.

Since most of the fall off is cos^4 in nature and I don't believe the filters correct for it fully (down 2 1/4 stops at edge of the 90/8 field of illumination but filter factor is only 1 1/2 stops...) I figure it just might work, mostly. Not to mention that it really hurts shelling out the big $$'s for these exotic pieces of glass.