Photo "walk" in Yosemite Park

Do you know who's leading the walk? It usually says on the sign-up sheet. Depending

who is leading the walk, the leader of the walk will cover different subjects. But overall,

the advice given on the walk is geared more to the casual and intermediate photographer

than to the advanced photographer.

In general, they'll touch upon the zone system, how meters work, how to compose

landscapes, and how to use a polarizer, warming, and a netrual density grad filter.

But the walk can still be worthile for the advance photographer because the walk leader is

usually a professional landscape photographer and he or she can answer almost

any of the very technical questions an advance photographer might have. Also they are a

very good source for tips on what areas of the parks are at their most photogenic during

your visit. As an example, the walk leader will probably have a very good idea where the

wildflowers are now in bloom in the park.

Thanks for the input. I'm excited about our trip, just was concerned about leaving the rest of the family on their own...but hey, they're resourceful, and what a place!!

I'm a big fan of Clyde Butcher's. Been to his gallery in Venice (Fl). He actually was scheduled to give a talk on Ansel Adams at the Naples, Fl. museum of art last month. Missed it.

Thanks again. Jim

My brother and I took one of these Yosemite "photowalks" in January of '86. Don't remember who the instructor was other than he had extensive pro credentials including a lot of national magazine work.

We went to 4 or 5 different locations in the valley very early in the morning (it was a bit too cold to really pay close attention). Each location was another famous postcard view of the valley. The instructor showed us how a tourist might shoot the image...and then how he would shoot it differently.

It just so happened that each of the vistas we stopped at had a big tree conveniently located within a few feet of the vista. According to our instructor, the tourist would shoot say, Half Dome, from the edge of the open field, where as the pro would back up a few feet so that above Half Dome a few branches would intrude on the frame of the image, thus giving the photo some "context."

Anyhow, he repeated this trick at each new location...almost as if we'd never heard it before. But then, everyone was really too frozen to point out that we all heard that trick at the last location.

When my brother and I got back to the village, we ate our lunch next to a fireplace to warm up and discussed how we might make a fortune by selling souvenir Yosemite caps that had a tree branch hanging over the front so you could always give your photos some context without needing to look for a conveniently located tree...

As others have remarked, any walk through Yosemite is worth it. But you might enjoy it more in the company of your friends and family with whom you can share your awe.