Luna Pro F or SBC?

Hello,

<p>

I am in need of a new meter to go along with my M2. Most of the time I can just guess at

the correct exposure, but there are circumstances where a meter is a nice accessory.

<p>

I have pretty much narrowed myself to either a Luna Pro F or SBC. I believe that both use

an the same SBC cell, and both take a 9 volt battery. Can anyone tell me the differences

between the two?

<p>

I have also considered other meters (Weston, 308BII, Digisix), but the Luna Pro's seem to

be the best compromise between price and low-light capability. Comments?

<p>

Thanks, Nick

I use a Luna Pro F with my M2 because I already had one for my LF work. It is very easy to

work with because I am so used to it. I have a narrow angle attachment that sort of works

like a spot meter. Both these meters and their various attachments are readily available at

decent prices on the auction sites. Good luck.

Nick,

I have the Luna Pro F. Never owned the SBC but I think the only major difference has to do with flash measurements. The F will also give you flash exposure for regular, fill and multiple flash. Before buying, handle one; you may find it somewhat large and heavy with the leather case. --- Sid

Luna Pro F will allow you to meter flash. Both meters will give accurate readings in light

thats too low to even see the meter. Some Luna Pro F meters have a defect that causes

them to eat the batteries. I have one of those so if you don't plan to use flash I would get

the SBC.

Hi Nick

Good question.

I owned the Luna Pro F and traded it for the SBC, which I still have. As a basic meter

they are essentially the same in use, apart from the Pro Fs built in flash capability.

From memory both use Silicon Blue Cells. The Profisix SBC is quite a sophisticated

modular system to which various gadgets can be added.

Unless you are interested in the add ons for Profisix SBC don't go near it. This meter

has a reputation for being delicate and mine regularly goes out of whack. The Luna

Pro F for some reason is a more robust device. Mine never had to go into the shop

and remained accurate despite fairly rugged use over a number of years. I hear it is

still going strong and has remained accurate to this day needing no service. I traded

it about 15 years back. My Profisix on the other hand has had to be recalibrated

about half a dozen times over that period.

I believe Gossen still produce the Luna Pro F.

C.

Given those choices, I vote for pro f. My SBC broke in short order. So did my luna pro and was repaired twice. I won`t touch another Gossen meter ever ever.

I have a Pentax digital spot, Seconic Studio DeLux, Weston Master 5 which I purchased non working and had new cell put in for $65 a year ago, and last Saturday a Weston Master 2 in accurate working condition for $20. I don`t know of a spotmeter that doesn`t use a battery. My m6`s and r cameras all have their own internal meters.

My take is that Gossen has made some good meters -- I have an original Luna Pro and an

F2, but I have to say that Sekonic has completely ecliped Gossen in terms of current

offerings. Sekonic literally has a meter for every feature set and every price point and they

perform very well. If you like modern meters, look at the L-308 -- if you like traditional,

look at the L-398, which is my favorite for use with my meterless M cameras.

The Luna Pro F uses the null metering method, but I think the Luna Pro SBC has the traditional scale. These are both the same size, quite bulky. I have the Pro F and a Luna Star F which is notably slimmer and has a digital interface. Liking analog interfaces, I'm a little surprised that I prefer the Star F to the Pro F.

"the Luna Pro SBC has the traditional scale"

I have a Profisix which someone on PN said is the same as the SBC. It has a

null pointer system like all the Luna series. You can use it with the flash

attachment to meter electronic flash. So far I've seen no signs of fragility.

Weston Masters fit in your pocket better than the Studio Delux I have and work better in incident mode with attachable invercone than the Delux does as a reflected meter. Both are top notch though. If you like incident, go for Delux, if you like reflected, go for a late master.

Quality light Metric in Hollywood "Callyfornia" is super for repair of the masters and other meters. About a two day turnaround and $65.Call after 10AM western time.

Harvey, Gossen models get confusing, since in the US they have different model designations than in Europe. What I think is a Luna Pro F, on your side of the pond is a LunaSix F, and my Luna Star F is called a VarioSix F.

Here's a couple photos pasted together showing the different displays, that I was having a hard time describing. The one on the left is what I called the "traditional display", as this is what I've mostly seen on this series of meter.

The Luna Pro SBC looks like the Luna Pro F on the right, and this is what I call a "null" metering display. I think the only difference between the SBC and F is the flash metering ability of the F.<div>009L8w-19432584.jpg.77b2b6278a9d2391cbb5c4971b119613.jpg</div>

My Luna Pro F has kept on tickin' for more than a quarter century. I really like the null scale (I have nearly no on-board memory, so to speak; the null meter scale "remembers" my initial incident measurement for me, while I check the shadows/highlights in relation to the average incident reading). I like its simple, intuitive analog design, which avoids needing to think about yet another gadget.

The only problem with my meter is that sometimes I must lightly press down on the right edge of the dial, or else it will give an inaccurate reading. An electrical contact is probably a bit corroded with age. But if I do this whenever the meter seems sluggish, the readings are always always always accurate!

Rarely, the ASA setting ring was accidentally moved while handling the meter, so I keep an eye on it.

"Brandon's Dad"

My father in law started using a Luna Six F (that's how they're badged in Canada?) a decade ago for his M3s. Following his example, I've been using the Luna Pro F for a number of years. I don't notice any sign of delicacy at all. It is still very accurate after 4 years of use (and I bought it used). It is a bit bulky, but it fits inside a compartment of the Lowepro case without a problem. Leave the leather case top at home when going out into the field. At home, it is indispensible for multiple flash setups.