EOS 5/A2e's built-in flash -- will it conflict with 28-70 f/2.8?

robert_davis7

I've decided to buy an EOS 5 for my trip overseas and leave the 1n and

540EZ at home. My reasoning is that I want a QUIET, light body with a

built-in flash. I've heard the EOS 5 is one of the best cameras Canon

ever made and it certainly fits my specs.

BUT... will my 28-70mm f/2.8 lens cause a problem with the built-in

flash, such as a shadow (because the lens is so big) on the image?

What about if I took the lens hood off? I'm not going to be shooting a

lot of flash pics, just maybe the occasional fill-flash portrait.

Comments, advice appreciated.

>> will my 28-70mm f/2.8 lens cause a problem with the built-in flash, such as a shadow (because the lens is so big) on the image?

No personal experience but this is likely to happen.

>> What about if I took the lens hood off?

<lens hood fanatic> It may help but I would not recommend doing that. Lens hood provide both physical protection (if you accidentally drop it) and flare protection. </lens hood fanatic>

>> I'm not going to be shooting a lot of flash pics, just maybe the occasional fill-flash portrait.

In that case I think it's worth bringing along the 540EZ, although heavy.

HTH.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

I have an EOS5 and a 28-70f/2.8 and you will not be able to use the built in flash with this.

<p><p>

<blockquote><i>I've heard the EOS 5 is one of the best cameras Canon ever made and it certainly fits my specs.</i></blockquote><p><p>It's autofocus performance blows the doors off of most 10Ds.

Eos 5 is a great camera. You will like it. I did a test once with the 28-70L and the poppup flash (took the lens hood off). I found that there were shadows only at certain focal lengths and certain subject distances. What they were exactly, I don't recall. What I do remember is that if you are zoomed out to 50-70mm, and the subject is far enough away, you can get away without noticeable shadow. The shadow always occurs in the bottom part of the frame (for obvious reasons). So if, say, ur shooting a person, and their face is in the upper part of the frame, and you are zoomed out far enough...(and the stars are correctly aligned)...the shadow at the bottom of the frame sort of falls on already dark clothing or open space and disappates and isn't noticeable. However using the flash when zoomed below 50mm, you will almost always get a noticeable shadow, just because the wide angle takes in so much more.

<p>Fill flash portraits outside? Assuming ur zoomed towards the 70mm end, shouldn't be any problem with shadow. I do this myself frequently. The flash is awfully weak though and the camera is not the "smartest" when it comes to balancing the fill flash.

<p>Here's fill flash using the Eos 5 and 24-70L that I took a few weeks ago. It didn't put out enough light though and our faces are pretty dark in the original slide. I probably need to dial in some compensation next time. Note to self...

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/image/31895735">EOS5FILLFLASH</a>

Robert,

I have used my 28-80 2.8-4L (about same size as 28-70 2.8L) lens on my EOS-5 and popup flash. The lens is too big and even without hood on lens it will cast a shadow.

I recently took my EOS-5 on vacation and, like you, wanted a light package. I removed the vertical grip and carried it with a 50 1.4 lens. Made a great walk around kit and flash works with this lens without any problems. I also carried a 24 T/S 3.5L lens to use on tall buildings - I was visiting a large city.

Cliff