Why would Canon users visit this Leica forum?

erin.e

Well this could be one reason that they do. <a

href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=00Afke">Here </a> is a rather funny thread that developed on

the Canon forum and included the question "What does EOS mean?" so it

did have some Canon content. Our beloved moderator Bob Atkins decided

that it to humorous for the Canon forum and was more appropriate to

be in the General unarchived forum so moved it, so it would not

interfere with the endless "Just got ma digital Rebel 300D, can I fit

a 600 f4L on this camera to photograph my grandchildren running

around the back yard from the porch?"

I guess it's no worse than what Leitz, and other companies, did before the days of computers. They used five letter pronouncable code "words" for all their accessories like lens hood and extension tubes. These later got 5 digit number codes. Listen to a bunch of Leica collectors sometime...

This forum is one of the best on photo.net and it has wide appeal among people who make photographs irrespective of their equipment. Although some people claim that this forum is obsessed about equipment, that is much more true of the other brand-specific forums - and this is the only one of them which discusses photography and not just Leicas. Keep it up - this forum is always a fun and refreshing read.

A lot of people come to the Leica Photography forum because it is lively. I view the original Barnack camera as the "Ur camera" or template for all subsequent 35mm cameras. Oskar Barnack's goal was to develop a camera that was small and portable, yet capable of producing "big pictures." His innovations spawned the 35mm camera revolution. I view all modern 35mm cameras as being inspired by the original Leica. It doesn't bother me that most 35mm photographers use non-Leica equipment, and that some of them frequent this Forum. They are still linked to the Leica tradition and legacy.

I am a Canon shooter and come here to research RF and listen to the lively banter. I have to admit, though, this statement made me laugh pretty hard <I>"and it is usually pretty civil here."</I>. <P>I have no interest in Leica's as I cannot afford them, but still enjoy the W/NW threads and the exchange that goes back and forth.

the w/nw pics.........no other forum has the amount of participation in w/nw like this one. And I'd venture to say that the majority of the w/nw's pics are actually non-leica cam shots. So, apparently, at least with the w/nw posts, the Leica Forum has embraced the participation of others............even changed the guidance to read something about "leica style" pics.

cool.........

perhaps to gain a brief respite and escape vis-a-vis the sadness of Indochina, and gain perspective from these mainly ridiculous and meaningless discussions of either photographic nonsense (lens resolution, digital angst) or tiresome non-photography related and ego-fueled gab fests.

Duh - I visit to learn the answers to all of life's most difficult and important questions from the omniscient Leica photogs. I mean, afterall, you DO own a Leica, you must know everything.

I'm such an idiot. I wish I was smart enough to buy and use a Leica. Maybe I should sell one of my children and use the money to buy a Leica. Are Leica photographers smart because they own Leicas? Or, do you have to be smart before you can get approved to buy one? I hope it's the former.

By the way, why would a Leica photographer descend from the Ivory Tower to visit a non-leica forum? What of worth could there possibly be in the "Canon" or the "General Unarchived" forums?

Finally, I posted this question in the Canon forum, but none of my fellow Canon shooters could help me with an answer. I was hoping a Leica user might know the answer. Do you know if my camera (it's a digital Rebel 300D with a 600 f4L) is compatible with Tamrac packpacks? Or, do I have to buy a Canon bag? I really like the Tamrac, and if it's not compatible, it might be worth it to me to sell my Canon gear and buy compatable Tamrac cameras and lenses. I'm not sure, though. This is all just so confusing!

I lurk here and sometimes post because I always view Photo.net using the unified view of the forums - I read threads based mainly on the subject line, regardless of the forum. In fact I often don't notice which forum they've been posted to.

Of course, now I've admitted this and worse - I don't even own a Leica - I should probably hang my head in shame and never return.

"...I always view Photo.net using the unified view of the forums - I read threads based mainly on the subject line, regardless of the forum."

Ditto here. If ALL the Leica Forum posts were specifically and only about Leica equipment, it wouldn't be much of a forum. But this thread itself is a good example of an off-topic post that is of about the same interest to anyone, regardless of camera used.

I visit for the men. Which reminds me, has anyone heard from matt m since he arrived in Thailand? We e-mailed before he left but have not heard from him since. Or now that he's in another time zone, has he appeared here and I haven't seen it? Mary