A variety of mass mailing trojans (worms) are being delivered to my

PhotoNet email address. They take the form of PIF's and ZIP's. My

email address redirects to my Yahoo account and that is where I

receive these. I do not get the usual notification that a member has

requested my email address, so I assume that this may be an automated

internet scan of the PhotoNet system. Or, it is also possible that a

member who has my email address on their system is infected with this

mass mailing worm.

These are probably not from a worm or a trojan. They are probably an email virus. As you probably know, they result from your email address being in the folders of a mail reader, such as OUtlook, that has been infected by a virus. Once they have infected a systen,hese viruses propagate themselves by sending themselves to all the email addresses they can find on the system. It most likely is not targeted specifically at photo.net.

I got one of the .pif files. I STRONGLY recommend Ritlabs' "The Bat" as an e-mail client. It is about as secure as I have found, albeit a bit quirky. One can delete unwanted e-mails from the server, and they never reach your hard drive.

"The Bat" would not open the .pif file (program information file) and gave the message "these files will not be opened under any circumstances."

On the subject of Internet clients, CERN suggested that one not use Internet Explorer and deemed it dangerous.

Presently, I have divorced all clients as much as possible from the Windows XP operating system, using the following: The Bat, Firefox, and Thunderbird, the latter two by Mozilla. They are great.

Things are faster and more secure. Also, System Mechanic Pro w/ Panda Antivirus is very effective.

I'm sharing these to help with safety, which is a (sadly) dominant issue and a waste of time and energy. Hope this helps...

I'm still getting them. Looks primarily like the Lovegate virus. I run antivirus software and have a firewall. These are are actually being detected by Yahoo's mail server.