D1 as backup

joe_kallo

I was wondering if anyone keeps a D1 as a backup body for a D70, and if so, how that

works out. I'm not a pro, but I do often travel--sometimes with the express purpose of

photographing. Previously, with film cameras, I'd always have another body of some type

along with me and I worry about not having a backup sometimes. It would also

occasionally be nice to have two bodied in situations that demand frequent lens changes

(especially in dusty environs).

I'm thinking of the D1 (as opposed to maybe another D70 or D100) as a backup for a few

reasons:

1. They're getting pretty inexpensive on the used market.

2. It would be *really* nice to have a weather and bump resistant body.

3. I work in RAW so the purple people problem isn't really one for me.

Thanks for any input.

I have had a D100 for two and half years. Essentially my backup is still a film body (or two), and some of my film for backup purposes are expiring. So far, I have never needed my backup. At this point, my strategy is to wait for something better to come along so that the new DSLR will be my main body and the D100 will become the backup. When I bought the D100 back in 2002, I knew all along that it would be my backup camera some day.

If you get a D1, for one thing IMO 2.7MP is not sufficient. And you'll need to carry a different type of battery and charger.

> 1. They're getting pretty inexpensive on the used market.

Silly really, as they are still a superb camera for many purposes.

> 2. It would be *really* nice to have a weather and bump resistant body.

... and one that costs so little you don't mind if you break it (which you won't).

> 3. I work in RAW so the purple people problem isn't really one for me.

It is only a problem if you don't colour manage. You're used to NEFs so you will be fine (I am not quite sure how you work with NEFs without using a colour space aware program). People used to get it wrong with JPEGs by using non-colour space aware programs and wondered why their NTSC pictures looked wrong when viewed as sRGB!

> <Shun>

> If you get a D1, for one thing IMO 2.7MP is not sufficient.

IMO the D1 is more than sufficient for many things. I have taken some amazing photos with my D1 that look incredible printed at A3 size (I've placed a picture in my gallery of a friend water skiing that is proudly on his wall). Yes you can't really crop, yes you must shoot raw, and yes you must post process carefully. For little more than twice the (original) cost of the vertical grip for the D100 you have a complete camera!

I wouldn't see the D1 as a backup to your D70, more a compliment. It is very heavy, and I wouldn't lug around a D1 as a spare just in case your D70 gives up! The D1 might not bring such a high resolution but it brings a lot of features that make it worth a second look.

There are valid reasons for not getting a D1: size, weight, batteries, NTSC colour space, slow image review and poor histogram. For most people resolution shouldn't be the issue and for the price it is a superb buy for any amateur who can't (and few can) justify the cost of a better body.

If you can get a D1h for about the same price I would recommend it as it fixes all of the annoyances with the D1. Sadly, they are still relatively rare on the used market (I guess people still use them because the resolution isn't a problem!).

Guys,

<P>

I took the D1 NEF from this site

<P><a href="http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/NEF_conversion/nefconversion.html">http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/NEF_conversion/nefconversion.html</a>

<P>

and and performed my "usual" post processing steps in NC4, *including* resizing it up to 4000x2624.

<P>

Attaching the eye, saved as quality 80 jpeg from GIMP.<div>00AtgW-21530284.jpg.de2060df8118f72cc0584b80b26b0698.jpg</div>

> Seriously wondering if the D1X type "update" is out there.

They cannot make something out of nothing. The D1x 6.1 -> 10MP software update is not what you think, and there isn't any opportunity for such on the D1. No software update will make up for insufficient sensors.

Get the D1.

I have the D2H and the D1 is built just like it. Reminds me of the F2 in build quality- something that the D70 just does not instill in me after using one in the field or the D100 for that matter. Granted I prefer a build quailty that will take knock and abuse. The D1/D2 series of cameras do this nicely and with great ease.

Shun-

You seem to have not convinced anyone that the D1 is not worthy of being in a camera bag.

Case in point - The end result of my shooting ( professionally) ends up in magazines and CD covers and press kits. The way the images are printed means that my D2h is overkill. The D1/D1h is just fine and it is not a backup camera for me - but a different lens camera.

You see I usally have three bodies going at once. I get only 10-12 minutes to get my shots - I dont have time for lens changes. The D1/D1h are still overkill for my PAYING customers.

My paying customers love the output and that is what really matters to me. Not how many pixles I have , but do I have enough to sell the image.

So yes the D1 is still very viable. And yes images can be enlarged for a two sheet spread quite nicely. And yes CD covers look great printed from an image created off of a 2.9MP camera.

I will probably be buying a few more D1h's to have as spares.

Yeah, I didn't say much about pixel density in my post because its not all that important to

me at this point. I have some nice images made with a 3MP camera that make great

11x14s. Its wonderful to be able to blow D70 images up to 16x20 and make big crops,

but those are exceptions in my little photo world.

I do really like the idea of going back to working with two bodies instead of changing

lenses. I've recently gotten my first ccd dust and its pretty annoying. I REALLY like the idea

of a body that I don't have a coronary over when I fall on it. Laugh, but that was the

scenario on TWO occasions on a recent two week trip to the coast of CA. The D70 survived

without harm, but sometimes I think I need a heavy-duty body for certain situations.

My biggest concern about the D1, believe it or not, is the battery life. I LOVE the D70s

ability to shoot all day (and the next day etc...) on a single battery charge. I'm wondering

how many batteries I'm gonna have to carry for the D1.

Thanks for all the input!

Loren, if 2.7MP is good enough for you, by all means take full advantage of the low price of the D1. However, as we discussed a week or two ago, if the 4MP D2H were sufficiently good, it would have been selling like hot cakes at $3200. There are reasons that Nikon is discounting it at a firesale price of $1999 (or actually more like around $1800) and yet a lot of people are still waiting for the far more expensive D2X or switch to 8MP or even 16MP Canon DSLRs.

I would probably not buy a used D1. The sort of people who bought D1s new were the heavy users, the professional photojournalists who made hundreds or thousands of shots with them, every day. The mechanical parts are likely well worn, the battery is likely to be unable to hold a charge, etc. If you can get it checked by a technician prior to parting with any cash do so.

I had a quick look online at a UK dealer, the D1 used costs more than the D70 + kit lens new!

Joe,

I would get the D1 and then use the D70 as a backup. Of course that is only my opinion. I use a D1 as my primary camera. My previous camera was a 1989 Nikon N4004s and I used it pretty heavy off and on until 2004 when I got the D1 I now have off of Ebay for a song considering what I got with it, (pretty complete package, lens, charger, batteries, etc.) I will most likely use my D1 until the clock warning shows on the display or something goes wrong with the mechanical inside. Then I will send it in and have it fixed and keep right on shooting. I use my D1 as a tool and for personal shooting as well. I am more than happy with the 2.74 MP it shoots. My work has me using it to document before and after shots of well heads of water wells and water systems I work on and it does a superb job. I don't miss going to the photo lab although I haven't taken the time to learn Photoshop like I need too. If you get a D1, get the B. Moose Peterson Book, "D1 Generation" it will fill you in on the quirks of this fine camera. If the price is right, I would get the D1H or D1X because they have better power consumption than the D1, 900+ frames as opposed to 300+ in the D1. Other than that, the D1H is only .5 FPS faster than the D1 and the D1X is 5.4 MP. Oh yeah, the D1H and D1X do also have a bigger memory buffer. But if you can find a D1 with original packaging, charger, multiple battery packs, lens or lenses, multi CF cards and other accessories and software for $1500 or less on ebay, knowing what the body and other parts might sell for alone, it would be worth the purchase price for the package.

My $0.02,

Charlie Johnson