Bald Eagle Photography in Northern Callifornia

carl chandler

The Lower Klamath Refuge in northern California, near the town of Tulelake (literally "out in the tules"), has excellent eagle and other raptor photo ops. You can rent blinds by making a reservation and paying a small fee. The original eagle blinds were placed by non other than Franz Lanting and the refuge manager at the time, who was also a photographer - Bob Fields, a friend.

Across the border in the upper Klamath Refuge there are also excellent opportunities, and the dawn flyout from the Bear Valley is a spectacle you shouldn't miss (near the town of Worden, OR - cross the tracks to the west just south of town, turn left/south on a small track immediately afterwards, park)

Cache Creek Wildlife area east of Clearlake is reported to be very good

during the winter months. Apparently they feed on the carp in the creek. Sorry

I can't give a persoanl report as I haven't been though I have planned to go

many times. It also has a good Tule elk population.

The walk in to the eagle viewing area is I beleive about 1 1/2 miles or so from

the trailhead off of highway 20. Look into it and let us know what you find

God's light to you

Chris

Bald Eagles aren't hard to find really anwhere here in Oregon that there is a large body of water for them to fish. Theirs a pair that hang out part of the summer in a dead tre at one of the big gravel pits I haul in and out of I'ver got a couple of through the winshiled shots but it is on the access road with a LOT of traffic and there is no way for me to stop my 105,500gvw dumptruck and pup to try a better shot.

The Lower Klamath Basin is a great place Last I heard a friend was just there counted 12 pair in the one day he was in the area.

Klamath. I was there this time last year. Saw 100+ bald eagles. They were almost all on the Oregon side of the refuge, whereas the blinds are across the street in CA. Spent 6 hours in a dishwasher sized blind for one photo of a rough legged hawk. Still a fun trip though and well worth it.

-slide

I thank everyone for all the great information, and looks like ill be going to the Lower Klamath Basin when I get my vacation.

What would be a good time to go there, about how far is it from San Francisco? Hope to take some great shots with my new Canon 20D & 70-200mm f/2.8L + 2x II Converter.

Thank's again and happy shooting Carl

The refuge is on the border of California and Oregon. You can fly into Medford Oregon (best) or Klamath Falls Oregon (closest) and rent a car to get to the refuge. There are a number of motels in Klamath Falls and a few more rustic ones closer to the refuge. Now is about the best time to be there. THe Middle of February is usually the peak "season". Bear Valley is interesting to experience but poor for photography. I believe I have some of the locations referenced on my website. West of White Lake in California is the best spot to find the most eagles. Up in the trees along the canal. If there are lots of eagles they will be in the fields on the refuge an on the Oregon side of the highway. (North)

http://www.ordata.com/~lmforbes

check out photo opps

I believe under california but I'm not sure

The photo blinds are usually reserved months ahead and you MUST be in the blind before sunrise and stay at least until noon. Refuge regulations.

MIke