ryan_wolstencroft

I'm thinking about buying an RB67 used and had just assumed that it

would be lighter than my C33 because i find the C33 pretty heavy. I'm

starting to wonder though if this is in fact true. I read a lot about

how heavy the RB67 is, but can't find a comparison to my C33 (or a

C330, C3, etc.) so if anyone could let me know if i'm right or wrong

and how different they are i would be pleased. Even if the RB is

heavier, is it easier to handhold because of it's shape? I find the

C33 very awkward to handhold. thanks guys!

You are wrong (boy, I'd never though I'll be able to say this in my life again :-)). Anyway, RB is much heavier than C33. Generally, RB was designed to be used on tripod, but some peope use it handheld. But if you find C33 too heavy, you are not likely to be happier with RB.

You can buy a grip for C33 which may or may not make it easier to hold. The same grip will work with RB67 but at 5 pounds+, your ability to hand hold the camera will have some limitations no matter what.

If you can, find an RB67 in a store and try it out for yourself. That's probably the best way to determine whether or not it's right for you. I never found my C3 to be awkward for handheld use... which goes to show that comfort is a very subjective thing.

I had an RB67 for a while but sold it because I found it just too cumbersome to use in the field. It's more of a studio camera, IMO. Sorry, I don't have any exact figures... but I can tell you that it sure felt a lot heavier than my C3.

I always had it tripod mounted and can't even begin to imagine using it handheld. Do you realize that with an RB67 the shutter cocking and film advance are two separate actions that you would use your right hand for? I think the position of the film back's film advance crank doesn't make it particularly friendly for handholding.

If possible, try before you buy.

I have an RB67 and have used a C220f (I don't know how the C220f compares to the c33), and the RB is a lot heavier than the C220f. However, I regularly use my rb67 in the field without a tripod, and am happy with it. It comes down to personal preference (and maybe strength ;).

As for the shutter/mirror cocking and film advance - since I release the shutter with my right hand, its a simple motion to press the release, automatically reach over and cock the shutter, and complete the motion by advancing the film. Once you get used to it, its a simple, mindless automatic action that takes less than two seconds.

Agree with the above, plus I add that the RB is not easy to handheld per se IMHO. I find the C with the help of a neckstrap much more handy.

If weight is your trouble, you may consider to buy a C330proF or C220proF, they're known to be lighter since much metal was replaced with plastic (groan). With one of those, you wouldn't need to change your lenses setup.

Agree with what has been posted previously. My past experience with a C330 is that it became much easier to handle once I attached the grip that can also be used on the RB. In fact, in addition to the grip, I have also used a monopod on occaision for some additional support when I'm not on the tripod. FWIW. Good shooting. Rick

With some extra search I've found that the lightest of all seems to be the C220 together with the C220F (both weigh 1150, to be compared with 1810 of the C33 and 1340 of C330S).

The C220S - supposedly - should be even lighter but apparently it has never been released, though I seem to recall brochures and ads of it.

i have to disagree with the above posters. i was very surprised how heavy the c220 is compared with the RB67. do not get me wrong, the RB is heavier, but holding it side by side or on in each hand, i would have to say that they are close. i was very surprised how heavy the C220 actually felt compared. it is way smaller and all. now let me say one thing. everyone always talks about how heavy the RB is. and it is BIG. but if you use a neckstrap you are not actually hand holding now are you? i only have a waist level so this is the natural shooting position, so it "handholds" very well IMO. now if you were using a prism it may change the game (and i hear the prism is quite heavy. i know my 645 prism had some weight). i hope this helps. bottom line, the RB is bigger and heavier and it could be used like a mideveil fighting object when attached to a tripod. but i sure love my RB

eddie

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan, I just got an RB67 Pro-S. With a 90mm lens, Waist level finder, and a 120 film

holder this outfit weighs about 5 pounds. It is just about the same weight as my

Graflext Speed Graphic (4x5 press camera). I do not have a grip for the Mamiya,

thought am getting one soon. As it is, I use a Mamiya neckstrap that I wear

diagonally across the chest. This means that I can lower it to my side when waking

about -- that means it is not bouncing on my chest like a boxer's jabbing blows.

And, then I can slide it up and into position for picture taking with very little effort.

The only downside with that setup is that the Mamiya strap has a suede-like back

(that makes contact with your clothes) and it does not slide easily. But then I am sure

ti was assumed that it would be used in the simple around-th-neck technique.

While I can not speak to the C330 or other Mamiya TLR's , I use this same bandolier

setup with a Domke neckstrap with my Rolleiflex Automat. I am sure it is light than

the Mamiya TLR's however.

Unless camera/equipment weight on your hands or neck/shoulder is a PROBLEM for

you (and there is nothing wrong with that) then I think you will find weight

comparisons to be an absolute waste of photographic effort.

More to the point is which FORMAT works best for YOUR needs and goals.

Just my two cents.