Leica School, Wetzlar, Germany

Todd, The course was a good intro into Leitz products but sales pressure was zero. If they only knew the Leica lust in my heart, a little push & I'd have mortgaged my soul, which was worth something back then. Not sure there'd be much value in it now :) Best, LM.

For Neil and Jay (and any other reading types),

<p>

Neil, your school in England was not representative of most British schooling of your time, and you had a direct experience of entrance into a Prussian-inspired educational experiment known as the American mass school movement. For the best possible overview of that experiment and its intended results, I recommend John Taylor Gatto?s Underground History of American Education.

<p>

Check the site at www.johntaylorgatto.com His Harper?s article is a good start, but the entire book is on the web page, too. Just FYI.

<p>

Thanks for the story and photo, too. When I was a kid, I read of the Leica School and dreamed of going. Guess I dreamed of travel a lot, as I left the US when I was 19 and have rarely lived there since.

<p>

Owen

Arthur, The 'course' was actually a 3 day tour of the company facilities and an intro to the Leitz products existing at the time. The instructor was a Leitz employee, though I suspect he was probably a very accomplished photographer as well. The emphasis was on Leitz equipment rather than photography per se, though sound basic techniques for good photos were covered. (ie: shutter speeds for hand held shots, DOF, framing in the viewfinder etc.) It was like participating in an infommercial. I remember our instructor showing us a life size enlargement of a newspaper and informing us that this was close to optimum for the existing equipment and lenses. In other words, using a Leica M2 and (probably) a 50mm Summicrion with film like Adox KB14, to enlarge more than life size would cause the image to start falling apart. I think they could have gone larger but I'm sure their standards were stricter than mine. Hope this fills in some info gaps for you. Best, LM.

len

theo kisselbach was one of the head honchos at leitz at this time and i think he also was one of the teachers there. he wrote the leica book from 1950 on up to the leicaflex book. he got famous in the 2nd world war, when he used a leica and a 800mm astro-lens to cover the dog-fights over the channel. theo scherer also wrote a few leica books, both influenced german leicaphiles through the 50s and 60s. heavily, and both wore a black cap, like the gentleman on your picture.

Harry, Thanks for the update & the broadening of my horizons. I guess, for a few days in Nov., '63 these two and I were practically neighbors. I wonder if the older gentleman on our course knew he was such a fashion statement. Perhaps that was his way of 'identifying' with the Leitz ambiance, 'getting with the program', as it were. :) Best, LM.

• 12 years later...