Can you scan the full neg (including edges) 120 on an epson flatbed?

I'm considering buying the new Epson 4990 for scanning 6x6 negatives shot with a 'blad.

From looking at pictures of the neg carrier, it appears that it's not possible to scan the

entire negative so that the edges of the frame (v notches and text on film edge) are

scanned too. Is that correct?

I want to be able to scan the entire negative/slide and include the edges around the frame.

Thanks for the info.

Well, you _can_ scan the whole thing. The total scanning area is like 4" x 9". The holder merely frames the film so that only, say, 2.25" wide is visible, but the transparency unit is sending light through the entier 4x9 space all the time.

The issue is the holder. If you can get a holder that exposes the entire film yet holds it flat, you're set. Not sure how you'd do that...

allan

dough fisher has a holder. ask him. julio is offering a 5x7 inch one-called wet-scan kit. i will try out this one since doughs one is too large to scan sideways on that 8x10(20x25cm) scan-surface. i must scan this way since i have very large panoramas which would cover the dedection window outside the scanarea. on 4900 scansurface is not 4x9. the lamp is mowing.

You can scan anything up to 4x9 inches if you put the film directly on the glass, emulsion side down. You simply make a frame out of black construction board that fits on the bed, and cover the whole thing with a piece on anti-Newton glass.

The plane of focus, by my measurements, is at the glass surface. The depth of field extends to about 2 mm above the glass.

Anti Newton Ring glass is a glass that has an extremely fine etched surface on one or both sides. The finely etched surface lowers the probability of Newton Rings which can appear in areas where two glossy surfaces come in contact with each other. I know many people who have done like the other poster mentioned and removed the rails/film channels in order to expose the full width of the film. It takes more time and is a bit "fiddly" (sp?) but you don't have much choice if you want to see all of the film in your scans while avoiding the pitfalls of placing the film directly on the glass.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

Thanks for all the answers. (OT: Kevin H. I love your stuff)

I think Dougs film holder sounds like a good solution. There's specific reference to what I

want to do regarding cutting off the edges to expose the full negative/transparency.

Thanks again.