Trying to read images hangs computer

Hi all...help needed if you can.

I'm running win98, 256MB ram, 400mh processor on a Gateway 400c.

I burned some photos to a cd-r in my digital darkroom (different

computer)

and am using the same imaging software on both. Burned with Nero on

XP system. The burn speed was the lowest (8x, I think)

The problem is when I'm trying to transfer the images to the win 98

system the computer hangs. Files are read-only. Don't know if that

makes a difference or not. Any ideas? I've tried accessing the cd-rom

drive from the imaging software, and also tried copying the files on

the disc to the imaging software, but the same problem occurs. A head

scratcher to be sure. If it makes any difference, the win98 system

has Adaptec CD creator, and I'm wondering if that creates a conflict,

like the cd drive won't accept files burned with Nero. Sounds crazy,

but stranger things have happened.

Hi John, It sounds like the CD drive in your 98 PC is just having a hard time with disks created by your XP system. I assume your 98 PC can read other CDs ok? If it's just having trouble with this one CD created by your XP machine, I'd just try burning another - CD drives can be finicky. If it won't read *any* CD created by your XP machine then that's another story. I can't imagine that the simple presence of Adaptec's software on the 98 box would throw anything off. I suppose it's possible that your 98 CD ROM drive doesn't like CD-R disks; if that's the case you might try burning a different type (CD+R or CD+RW) blank in your XP box and see if you can't make one that your 98 box likes. Good luck!

If the CD's won't read in your Win98 machine, the discs may be deffective, or you may have a problem with the drive in the Win98 machine. I presume other CD's, commercial or writeable, read in the Win98 machine.

Can you read the CD with the computer that created it? To detect problems with any CD burn, you should always do a file compare or verification afterward. You should use good-quality discs. The dark blue discs are not very reliable, even for data.

Files on a CD-ROM are always write-protected. That should not prevent you from copying from the CD to another hard drive. However, some imaging software balks at opening a write-protected file. There is usually a dialogue that gives you some options in that regard. CD-R's written to ISO file specifications should read on a Win98 machine. CD-RW's may not be compatible in an older reader. To be compatible, CD's should be burned in a session, preferably closed. Discs produced with floppy-emulating software are seldom compatible with other readers.

Discs written with Nero or Easy CD Creator are completely compatible. However, the presence of CD Creator may interfere with other CD-writing software and SCSI drives in particular.

This is kinda a stretch but how many files and folders are in the root directory of that cdr and how many of them use long filenames (more than 8+3)? This happened to me one time while running Win98. The disk was fine and worked great in XP but the number of filenames (long ones) in the root directory exceeded some limit of 98 and the disk would not read correctly. I can't remember all the details it's been too long.....