Hasselblad magnifying hood opinions

jerry_vincent

Better is a relative term. The Chimney hood is great if the bulk is not an problem as it does offer the ability to adjust the degree of eye correction that you may require to focus properly. I need this adjustment (typically -1.5 diopters.) People with good vision will seldom need any corrections here. I subjectively find that the chimney hood gives me a better vision of the screen image and this is probably attributed to a compound magnifier used in the hood.

<p>

The standard folding waist-level finder (your 'standard focusing hood') has several 'flavors.' The newest version has a vertical hinge at each folding side. To collapse the finder, you 'push' magnifier down, then push the two sides in and the finder will collapse on its own. It does not have a 'catch or latch' that keeps it folded. This version allows you to remove the original magnifier and replace it with one that corrects for the individual's vision.

<p>

The older W-L finder (the ones with a 'latch or catch' does not offer this feature.

<p>

The BIG ADVANTAGE of the W-L finder is its collapsed size. It adds little to the height of the 'Blad.'

The Chimney hood also has one more small advantage. The part that you view through is less apt to scratch your eye glasses. I find the standard W-L finder with its sharp edges will scratch your eye glasses if you are not carefull (as when you are in a rush trying the get the shot focused and exposed!)

<p>

Hope this answers some of your questions.

<p>

Tsun

• 9 months later...

Tsun:

Take note that the magnification of the late model waist level

folder is 4.5 time compared to the lesser magnigication of 3.5 times

for the chimnny finder and I belive the eye relief is greater in the

folder and viewing the full frame can be done simply by folding down the magnifier .

<p>

Good luck

• 7 months later...