are 6.2v batteries okay in a yashica electro 35?

adam_n.1

Adam-

If I remember right the original battery for my Yashica electro 35 was a 5.6V.So using the 6V,(which I'm using now) the shutter might be running a tad slower(?)I don't notice any difference) another.2V won't make that much difference-imo,besides I usually shjoot TriX

in this camera anyway-but I'm no expert- just telling you my experience

thank you roger.

don- it's my understanding the electro 35 has a voltage regulator (or whatever the proper term is) and that there is no need to compensate for overvoltage. so thankfully i don't think you have to worry about the shutter speed being off!

The E35 does NOT have a voltage regulator. But the light meter circuitry is quite complex and not just simply a photo resistor and a galvanometer switched in series - as on many older cameras, and this kind of circuit IS voltage sensitive. The E35G circuit is more or less self-compensating, i.e. less sensitive to supply voltage variations.

I once ran across a web site where a guy had run a computer simulation for the E35G light meter circuit and found out that there is less than 20% (less than 1/3 f-stop) shutter speed variation over a supply voltage range between 4.5 and 6.0V.

I second that. The www.yashica-guy.com 's battery adaptor is the best solution. I have several mercury batteries but I just use the adaptor. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a Vivitar 285 HV for my 3 Electro GSNs. I still haven't tracked down the 57mm slip on lens hood. The 55mm screw on blocks the rangefinder a bit. Maybe I should trim the hood. I love these Electro GSNs...I got kicked off nikonians.org for my Electro posts even though I use my Nikon FM2T for professional work. (That's going to change on my next wedding gig.) :-))