light, light meter

cwphoto

I was in the same situation, since I already owned a spotmeter, and I ended up with a Sekonic L-208 Twinmate. It's tiny (1.4 oz,)and 2 stops more sensitive than a Gossen Pilot. It also measures a 33 degree angle vs. a 50 degree angle for the pilot. The L-208 uses a button cell lithium battery that should last a long time. I find my spotmeter is gathering dust unless I'm shooting chromes because the L-208 is so accurate.

If you need a sensitive meter, you'll have to live with batteries. <p>Both the Sekonic 308B and the <a href="http://www.gossen-photo.de/foto_produkte.html">Gossen Sixtomat Digital</a> uses the easy available AA battery, and are both very compact.<br> They both do reflected and incident metering. I have owned both meters and I like both, however i find the Sekonic excellent for incident metering, but ackward when used for reflected metering.<br> The ergonomics of the Gossen Sixtomat Digital is IMO a better compromise if you use the two metering methods about 50/50 or if you favor reflected light measurements.<br> The Gossen has two (for some people useful) functions the Sekonic lacks: The ability to recall the metering value that was taken before the automatic power off, and the ability to display the constrast range of a scene.<br> What I dislike most about the Gossen meter is the rubber-like buttons which IMO doesn't give a positive feedback when pressed.
Niels

I picked up an old German made meter designed to be used for cameras in the 1950's or so. The meter is only about 1.5 inches by 1 inch, and has a shoe mount on the bottom. The meter also does not require a battery. Since I use the focus screen for my SWC and not the viewfinder, I simply slide this small meter into the shoe mount on top of the camera. The meter is quite accurate after I calibrated it using the sunnny 16 rule, it is very light weight, and it only cost about $5.00. It works great for me, although if I was working with color transparency film, with its short latitude, I would want to bracket exposures.

given the extrem angle of view, sunny 16 should work for most exposures. i have found that over the years, by guessing and then checking myself against a meter, i have become just as good as any averaging reflecatnce meter in guaging exposure. it's not very hard. in daytime, outdoors, you are essentially selecting between five or six EVs. if you still want a small meter, the two choices are obvious. a blad knob meter (made by gossen and very good) that can be pocketed or worn on that supercool blad meter knob wrist strap that is still available used if you look OR even better in my view, the new voigtlander VC meter. super accurate, durable, tiny, runs on std button cell (1.5V), and can be mounted in a standard shoe or worn on a lanyard with the lanyard attachment. check it out at www.cameraquest.com.