figure out the different features between models. I am only

interested in researching models with interchangeable backs, so forget

SLX, and I think one other body. I'd also be interested in some sort

of approx. pricelist, either the selling price when they were new, or

the current used-market value. Finally, is there a book available

specifically on this system, a "Rolleiflex Compendium" if you will,

that would fill in the blanks for me.

Richard,

I understand the appeal of the Rollei 6000 series cameras, having been a former owner of the 6006 Mark II. I got rid of them and went back to Hasselblad due to on-going nagging electronic problems with the bodies as well as the lenses. I would strongly advise that you consider limiting your search to the more modern 6008 or 6003 Rolleis, as users I know tell me that "the bugs have been worked out." Of course, there are those who are still shooting away with the 6006 cameras as well as the SLX, but I found them problematic-maybe the luck of the draw. Koh's Camera, and others, sell a book by the president of the Rollei Club. Memory fails me, I think it is called something like "The Rollei Owner's Guide" and I believe the author was Ian Parker.

BTW, I think you have to use the later model Rolleis (6008/6003) to use the nifty 645 back as well as the higher shutter speed lenses. The 180 2.8 of course can be fitted to the earlier 6006 cameras. It is a superb lens, but weighs a ton.

I understand your motivations, but having been through that chase I would ask you to look at the 203FE and consider all aspects of your decision. on paper though, the 6008 appears a winner in all regards. you really must scratch below the surface, as this is a major transition that might not yield the rewards as they first appear.

Richard:

Ian Parker's book is a little dated and not organized that well. Get it however. There are a number of good books if you read German. The revolving 6 x 4.5 back works with later versions of the 6008i, 6003 Pro and 6001. It is great. The 180 mm is impressive but not as sharp as the 150 mm Sonnar and Tele-Xenar. The latter is the sharpest. I use the 150 mm Tele-Xenar over my 180. The best prices are with Robert White in England. Totally reliable. Check him out.

Feel free to write me privately.

Ed CArmick

I'd suggest you wait and take a look at the upcoming Rollei 6008 autofocus (probably April). Not that you necessarily need autofocus, but there may be other differences (e.g., a sensible system for TTL flash on the new model) that may justify the extra cost over the 6008 Integral (if you're considering that model). Reportedly, the new model will allow focus confirmation with previous manual focus lenses. Also, one of the first AF lenses with be an AF Schneider 180mm f2.8 -- in theory, at least, the new 180 2.8 could be smaller and lighter than the current one.

A friend of mine has shot Hasselblad for years. He shoots medium format 5-6 days a week got. He would not have considered switching systems, but a few years ago, he bought a used Rollei 6000 series system at amazingly low, fire sale prices. The Rollei 6000 stuff was in mint condition and there was a lot of it.

Within two years, he sold the Rollei system and bought more Blads. He disliked the "cheap" feel of the Rolleis. However, he sold the system because of a string of expensive repair issues that occurred on an almost monthly basis.

Richard

NOTHING turns me off more than unreliable equipment! That is why I

use Hasselblad, and Nikon equipment. The only Rolleis I use are the

TLRs (twin lens reflex). I have yet to meet a completely satisfied

user of 6x6 Rollei SLRs.

When money is on the line, you want, nay need, reliability.

Jerry

i use blad for all my studio mf work. once or twice i have rented the rollei gear for reasons too boring to relate. it is VERY nice to work with -- incredibly well thought out, with too many features my blads SHOULD have to list. i have never been tempted to switch, however, mostly due to inertia and reliability concerns. to be fair though, i believe that the rollei gear of today is 100 times better built that their early 6000 cameras (forget the slx!!). i don't think the rolleis can be beat in terms of value for money. the lenses seemed as sharp or sharper than my blad optics. the one thing i would track down before jumping is the current state of affairs vis a vis rollei's usa repair facilities. due to frequent changes in ownership (at least of the usa dist.), this has been a major problem in the past.

Ahhh, the lust of buying equipment... before you make the transition, ask yourself first how it will improve your photographic skills and how it will expand your vision... The Rolleis have nice features, but they are also significantly larger and a bit heavier than the Hasselblad. Do you want to carry a permanently attached motor drive all the time? I don't know what photography you do, but I stick with Hasselblad (and - speaking of lust - feel very much tempted by the Flexbody ;-)

Go for it! The 180mm monster alone is worth it. Get the 6008i, it's the only one with an interchangable back and exposure automation and thus justifies the 180. 6008i body runs for about 2K at Robert White. The bugs are worked out. FYI: I had the SLX and the 6006, both of them overpriced garbage. The 6008i is photographic Nirvana. Company service is soso however (lots of threads here). Haven't needed much though in spite of some heavy work-outs. And, most of the parts are extremely rugged and reliable. Don't forget that your Hassy will need some overhauls as well (that is if you use it).

I'm also currently reseaching on Rollei 6008 and may soon eat the bullet and buy one. However, I found another dealer in Hong Kong who offers better deal, i.e. 6008i kit with 80/2.8 PQS for US$2,223. If you don't need the extra body, this may seems attractive.

I haven't bought Rollei gear from this dealer before but did buy a few Contax G lenses last year and the service was excellent and I was satisfied with the lenses. The dealer is New Sankyo Camera Co. Ltd., you may e-mail Tony Leung at newsanky@hkstar.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard;

If you haven't already, read the review of the Rollei 6008 listed on photo.net. IMHO it is a very even handed review of the pros and cons of the both the Hassie and Rollei systems. Since you are already familiar with the Hasselblad system it should be easy for you to go through the checklist and satify in your own mind if the differences are significant. As to issue of reliability. I'm not a heavy professional user but there are several regular contributors here on MFD who are. Michael Reichman, Jim Chow, and Kornelius Fleischer come to mind immediately. Michael and Jim use the full range of Rollei 6008i equipment and lenses in some very harsh enviroments. Our benefactor, Steven Greenspun, also makes note of the 6008i system reliability in his review. Personaly, I think the reliability issue is moot. Your mileage may vary. I'm extremly happy with my Rollei 6008i kit. I've experienced no failures to date, true I've only been using the system for about 16-months. Again, I'm not a heavy professional user. I can only tell you after doing my homework and researching the standard features of both sytems I chose the Rollei and have not regretted the decision. My only complaints are the camera is heavy and I'm not happy with awkward customer service system Rollei has in place. My $0.02 worth. Best of luck and let us know what you've decided and why.

Jim