Is there such a thing as a Prime telephoto under $500?

rod_melotte

Thought about a used 300mm f4.0 AF? It's a terrific lens and you can find them in your price range. I'm assuming by "less than 3.5" you're referring to lens' maximum aperature. You wouldn't miss that third of a stop in real-world shooting circumstances. Otherwise, 180mm. Faster but shorter, wonderful as well. Good luck with your search.

It depends a little on focal length and on whether you want manual or auto focus. Tell us more, but basically no.

There is, however, always theft. Steal one yourself or buy one from a thief. Illegal, unethical, morally incorrect.

On the whole, it would be best if you saved your small monetary units until you can afford to buy one. Or you could compromise your aspirations and get a long lens slower than f/4. Or you could borrow more than you really want to.

You could also reconsider whether you really need a long lens.

AF would be nice but not necessary - I have a D70. less then $500 would be nice and a Prime in the 100-150 range f3.5 or less???. Theft is a great idea but once I start I might not be able to stop so I don't think I'll go that route. I've already found that I'm a equipment whore - some day I'll have to learn how to use the camera!<p> All I see are glass in the $2000 range!

Consider picking up an used 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom. Yes, I know you asked for a "prime". This lens is so good with the D70, you will not find any difference between the results from this and many "primes". Of course, there is no metering possible. I used one for several months before I added a matrix chip. It is a bit more convenient now. This lens is very very sharp with pleasing image renditions.

In the 1950's; surplus 178mm F2.5 Kodak Aero Ektars were about 5 dollars; and shipping was 2 to 3 FOB from some warehouse. Sometimes the lens was still attached to an aluminum military cone; that added freight costs. Many folks made adapters to use these beasts on Exakta 35mm slr cameras; or 4x5 speed graphics. Here I have used both. Wide open they were not great; because the lens is for IR use. Stopped down they did make a decent sports lens. Many were used for astrophotography. Then these lenses were not yellowed yet due to radioactivity; like the bulk floating around today on Ebay. If sun bleached; the yellow can be removed.

Sure. I have a Nikon 180mm 2.8 AF that I bought for $300 used and a Nikon 300mm 4 AF that I bought for under $500 mint. Note that with the D70 you have to have an autofocus lens or the camera won't meter. With the D70, the 180mm is probably all you will need. I use it for indoor auditorium-type stuff with my children and some outdoor sports. The 300mm is good for wildlife, especially with a 1.4x extender.

What length are you looking for? As mentioned above, you can easily score an older 300mm f4 ED IF prime (rated well by Thom Hogan) and a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter (making nearly 450mm) for under that price. Look in my wildlife folder for results with that combo.

Ebay and KEH.com are good places to find 'em (used).

Used 180mm AF f/2.8. Right now at www.keh.com, there are two examples, one for $465 and the other for $499. These are the current "D" examples; if you waited, the non-D versions would be a little cheaper (and in all likelihood you'd never miss the "D" function). For a bit more, they also have a 135mm f/2 for $665, if that interests you (it sure would interest me).