Using a MF capture back for copy work, what's the downside?

Recently I had to make some quick copies of silver gelatin prints for a

presentation and as most of them are larger than my Agfa flatbed scanner I

created a copy setup and used my Imacon dig. back / 16MP, on a Fuji 680. I

wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by the results as the

dynamic range of the back seems more than adequate to the task and the

files show full detail. Also, in regard to sharpness I had to do very little

sharpening compared to the sharpening I'd do with the Agfa, which is a

cheapie. Short of a prepress grade Creo/Scitex flatbed scanner, will the

prosumer grade desktop flatbeds give me anything more that the Imacon, or

less? As to file size the Imacon will microstep and give me 500meg/16bit files

if I wish, so this isn't an issue. So I guess my question is, as a copy device is

the Imacon as good or better than the average flatbed so long as my optics

are first rate?<div>00AfcA-21221384.jpg.62f2cc269898d0f979a476a75a50cfb9.jpg</div>

LF 4x5" backs have been used for copying; since at least 1996; using old process cameras; or a 4x5 with back mounted just on the process cameras frame. The much newer tread is using a scanner; that takes the entire print; in color; even mounted on up to 3/4 inch thick materials; in one pass. These are sometimes 400 to 600 dpi in resolution; at 1:1. The can scan a color map; chart; cad drawing; giant movie poster; in one pass. They can create a monster file. A photo scanned at 300 dpi; that is RDG; and say 36x48 inches; is 445 megabytes. This exceeds the current digital backs on the markets resolutions. In mapping; these units are way quicker than using a MF or LF scan back; and show the tiny details way better. <BR><BR>For normal photos; a MF back will work well. Often resolution requirements are NOT the issue; color matching; out of gamut artist materials are; color blind customers are. Have fun; regards...KF

Blair Graphics in Santa Monica Calif had a "Megascan" system about 1995; that would digitally capture giant old movie posters; fine art prints; photos; maps; etc. I remember seeing their system in Jan 1996; 8 years ago!.<BR><BR>Our top computer in 1996 was a pentium pro; 200Mhz; with 512megs of ram; with a 3 Ghz HDA. The box had NT; a USB port; but no USB support in software yet. Our scan back for 4x5 uses a SCSI card; and even works on this old box that still works today; with a 333Mhz PII overdrive CPU.