wrist straps i made for my D70

art_kramer

I made these wrist straps from small dog collars. Just get the ones

with a half inch wide band. You made need 2 for pieces, you'll have

to cut one to get a straight strap to work with. the ends come pre-

looped, keep the loop intact. you can get it thru the camera support.

any questions let me know.The black one is alittle short for my hand,

it may work for someone else, just try the collars and see. They are

only $1.88 each and plenty strong enough for camera use.I got the

collars at walmart, please don't crucify me for that, you can get

them anywhere.thats a D70 in the pic, any SLR camera should work.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't carry it with those, it's the same material a nikon strap

is made from, without all that extra strapping. I made similar straps for several of my

Nikon bodies, including the heavier d2h and regularly shoot it with a 80-200 2.8. It

makes it much easier than that big neckstrap getting in the way.

Good idea Art. I don't like the full strap on when I'm just using the

smaller prime or zoom lenses either.

I use the Op/Tech strap that has the removable clasps. I remove

the full strap, and simply connect the clasps together for a

smaller, 10 inch loop for carrying the camera in my hand.

thats a good idea too. just to clear the air, i don't actually swing the camera around with this strap. i like to wrap it around the wrist for stability while shooting, thats all. i leave the swinging for the point and shoots. It's a preference thing, thats all.

and keep the image small... I think under 650px wide or summat...

good idea on the wrist straps. I've always wondered why Nikon doesn't make an action handstrap (like the zing, or like those canon makes) for it's various models. I do alot of street work, and having the camera in hand is nice.

oh c'mon eric, thats not how you connect it. its strong though.my straps are fine for me and a dog. they'll hold a $1000 camera or a $800 poodle, whatever you want. actually for all the doubters, the straps are the same thickness as all the other straps that are for cameras, because you'd never get them through the camera support. The Zing strap looked pretty good, my brother in laws markII has a great strap that comes with it, just like that Zing, but canon adds a support to the bottom of the camera.use what you want, drop your camera, break it, smash it, like i said its just a thought.

i think it's a great idea personally. and i'm going to give it a go. the reason that f100 doesn't aleady have a strap is that i have to stuff my cameras in sound blimps and need to remove the strap all the time. with this tiny dog collar, i might not have to do that. and i can hang my cameras from my fanny pack with a climbing 'beanner too. so thanks!

• 2 years later...

I stumbled across these posts in 2007 after searching the net for a simple solution to my

strap frustrations. Have been a photographer for more than 20 years and have never, ever

used my camera strap around my neck. It's always been wrapped around my wrist twice.

Talked to a guy at www.strapworks.com about what I saw here and he custom made me one.

Now they're selling them cheap on their website. Check out: http://www.strapworks.com/Economy_Camera_Tether_for_SLR_DSLR_and_Digital_C_p/slrt.ht

m.

• 2 months later...