gene crumpler

Well after nearly 50 years, I'm diving into 4x5. I went to Sexton's

advanced printing workshop in November of this year and I'm finally

convinced to go back to 4x5. I hope to have an enlarger and camera by

next week. So, is Strobel's View Camera Techniques still the best

book on LF?

Anybody using gigabitfilm?

Gene

Since the main change with LF is the movements, not much in optical physics has changed in 100 years, and apart from a bit of new witchcraft in processing negs( i.e. new Jobos, BTZS), Strobel is still applicable. AA's book The Camera was very helpful re the movements. I have not yet seen a book that deals with scanning LF negs/slides, so we are all on our own there.

Cheers

I have an older copy of Strobel's book. It is quite a good encyclopedia, covering many different topics. The writing is excellent, though some of the example photos were poorly printed. The newer editions probably are better. There is an excellent appendix with specs on many cameras. But (if I remember correctly) lens information was allmost completely edited out.

Another book that you might find useful if you are into sensimetry is 'Beyond the Zone System'.

E-mail me if you have a copy you want to sell

genecrumpler@att.net

Bill-I still love the hassie and use it most of the time. I carry a 500cm, 80 and 150, 2 magazines when I travel!

The image quality from Delta 100 comes up just a bit short in 16x20s

I'm going to try ethol TEC to see if will help.

SOB! Tech Pan is gone:>(

I'm working on the inventor of gigabitfilm to put it out in 120 roll film, but economics is holding up his investor. I am in the process of doing my own evaluation of 35mm and 4x5 gigabitfilm. I plan to put up the results on my website after I do microphotographs of Delta 100, Tech Pan and gigabitfilm negatives. I'm trying in my own small way to encourage demand for this film.

FWIW-Forget all the rumors and stuff you have read about gigiabitfilm. This is NOT copyfilm, but new technology. The inventor may be a day late and a dollar short in the face of the digital revolution. Maybe a solution to a problem that no longer exists.

Ever I now own a digital camera. UGH!