Paypal Alert in Reply To Comments on MF Forum

cpj

"Then again, I live in cloud cuckoo land where it's still 9/10 and I laugh at paranoid 'law enforcement' officials who are nothing more than simple fear mongers."

Hey Bob,

That wouldn't be Boulder, Colorado by any chance? I visited there this summer. Strangest place I've ever been.

It sounds to me like freezing an account is an attempt to make sure you are reputable. I'm sure they base that decision on pattern analysis of your transactions.

But the real amusing part is this refrain about privacy. Do you really expect a company that knows you only from information you enter online to trust you implicitly? If I were buying from someone via PayPal, I'd want them to know as much as possible about that person - both for their sake and mine.

Still, no one's forcing you to use them.

On a related note, I was once double-charged by Paypal for an eBay purchase (showed the double transactions right on my monthly Visa statement). I emailed Paypal, and they sent me back some vague reply that seemed to indicate that somehow it was my fault instead of theirs, and they would look into it. On my following month's Visa statement, I was credited back the overcharge. It was a small amount, well under $100 but still kind of irritating, not to mention the inability to talk to someone directly (never a name or empoyee number on their return emails, just a department name).

• 5 months later...