Why is the M4 mentioned here so little?

"no one has yet been able to realisticaly show me the difference in quality between my M4-2 and an M4. There isn't any."

The M4-2 is a fine camera and not deserving of all the stigma attached to it. However either you've never asked a Leica repairman to show you those quality differences or you just don't want to see them but they are there a-plenty, and I'm not talking about brass vs steel gears and their "feel" or the finesse of top-plate engravings, neither of which means beans to a shooter. For one thing the M4 is more adjustable than the M4-2 which allows a dedicated repairman to get an M4 rangefinder and film transporter closer to ideal tolerances. For another thing beginning the middle of the M4-2 run the infamous condenser lens was taken out of the rangefinder and the infamous patch flare began. The block where the 2 flash sync plugs attach is brass on the M4 and some kind of 70s plastic on the M4-2, which if the flash plugs are screwed in just a hair too tight, the plastic strips or the block itself splits. There are other cost-cutting differences too many to list. If you were to sit down with a repairman dissassembling both bodies you'd see them all. But like I said, the M4-2 is still a fine camera.

Ben,

>>However either you've never asked a Leica repairman to show you those quality differences or you just don't want to see them but they are there a-plenty, and I'm not talking about brass vs steel gears and their "feel" or the finesse of top-plate engravings, neither of which means beans to a shooter.<<

You're right, in one respect. I have never sat down with a Leica repairman/repairwoman and asked them to show me those quality differences. Why would I when the M4-2's I've owned (three altogether) have never needed a repair? On the other hand, I have owned four M4's, and three of those required repair. Granted, all were bought used but all were in apparent excellent++ or better condition when purchased.

Multiple adjustments on the M4? They are, perhaps, a theoretical advantage. But durability is more important to me. In that respect, the M4-2's I've owned win out. I'm only speaking from my limited personal experience. I won't argue that you and the Leica repair community know more than I do.