is lens seperation okay to buy?

danny_liao

I would stay away from it. I am no lens expert, but what I have heard it can scatter the light entering the lens thus causing the image to be soft/less sharp. Pay the extra money and be happy with your lens. In terms of resale also, not a good investment.

Thumbs down

If the separation is on the extreme edge of the glass, it probably won't matter when the lens is stopped down for taking a photo. My worry would be that the separation would grow with time. I wouldn't buy except at a hefty discount from the price of a lens in excellent condition.

Which 90 mm Schneider? Angulon? Super-Angulon? How old? (There is a serial number / age table at http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/.)

Danny,

I'd agree with what Michael said and wouldn't even consider a purchase unless it was

HEAVILY discounted. However, whatever decision you make, keep in mind that, in

most cases, the separation only gets worse with time.

If you get it for a REAL bargain...then it might be worthwhile sending it into S.K.

Grimes and have them re-glue it.

IMHO, given the low prices on most LF lenses these days (on *ba*) I'm not so sure I'd

be spinning my wheels and taking the risks on a separated piece of glass! But, that's

only my opinion.

Good luck.

Cheers

There are so many lenses available, the advise given is right on. But, really, when a 20-, 30-, 40- whatever-year-old lens has a smidgeon of lens separation, how bad is it going to get in another 2-3-4, 10 years? I have used many lenses that wouldn't pass a "loupe" test. They work just fine in the real world.

Well how about this? I took a chance and purchased a 90mm Caltar (Super Angulon) in a Copal 0 shutter that was dropped onto a concrete surface. The shutter split in two, bent the thing so bad the shutter leaves all fell out bar one! Front element shows serious signs of separation, rear element needed beating back into shape, but the bottom line is, it couldn`t be sharper when it was new! 4x5`s on Velvia 100F drum scanned are so good I wouldn`t part with it for Quids.

Cheers, Dean.